Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony DVD player brightness alternates

I have a new Sony DVD player that has done this since the first time
it was played. Starts with normal brightness, then slowly goes darker
(not black), then back to normal, then bright, and so on. Only does
this when playing a DVD (not when displaying menu items). This was a
gift from my company, that would be easier to repair or trash than
return. Anyone have an idea of what may be causing this and where to
start looking for repair? I searched this group and found nothing on
this particular model. Thankyou as always group.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Golf wrote:
I have a new Sony DVD player that has done this since the first time
it was played. Starts with normal brightness, then slowly goes darker
(not black), then back to normal, then bright, and so on. Only does
this when playing a DVD (not when displaying menu items). This was a
gift from my company, that would be easier to repair or trash than
return. Anyone have an idea of what may be causing this and where to
start looking for repair? I searched this group and found nothing on
this particular model. Thankyou as always group.

You don't by any chance have it hooked up through a VCR or RF modulator,
do you? The Macrovision copy protection scheme will cause this exact
effect unless the DVD is plugged directly into line inputs on the TV.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 22, 12:57 pm, Golf wrote:
I have a new Sony DVD player that has done this since the first time
it was played. Starts with normal brightness, then slowly goes darker
(not black), then back to normal, then bright, and so on. Only does
this when playing a DVD (not when displaying menu items). This was a
gift from my company, that would be easier to repair or trash than
return. Anyone have an idea of what may be causing this and where to
start looking for repair? I searched this group and found nothing on
this particular model. Thankyou as always group.

Wild guess: You have your DVD player connected to a VCR which is then
connected to the TV. Right? If so, then no repair is necessary...you
are seeing an artifact of "MACROVISION" an anti-piracy feature of
virtually all DVDs and many VHS tapes. Google MACROVISION for the
remedy.