Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default prom replacements?

I have a nice old HP 5340A counter that isnt working. A little
peeking at signals shows that the two state-machine control PROMS are
loopy. They output "1"s all the time. Luckily the service manual
lists the data that used to be in them. So burning new ones is a
possibility. But:

They're old old 16-pin proms, 5 address lines by eight bits out.

Inputs on 10-14, outputs on 1-8 and 9.

Does anyone know of anything with a similar pinout?

Our do I have to make a 27C16 to this pinout adapter?

Thanks,

A_H

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Try contacting this guy, he may have the PROM image for yours.

http://www.bluefeathertech.com/devices.html

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article .com,
Ancient_Hacker wrote:
I have a nice old HP 5340A counter that isnt working. A little
peeking at signals shows that the two state-machine control PROMS are
loopy. They output "1"s all the time. Luckily the service manual
lists the data that used to be in them. So burning new ones is a
possibility. But:

They're old old 16-pin proms, 5 address lines by eight bits out.

Inputs on 10-14, outputs on 1-8 and 9.

Does anyone know of anything with a similar pinout?

82S23
SN74S188 (open collector)

82S123
SN74S288 (tri-state outputs)

There's probably a dozen other part numbers from the various
manufacturers in the mid 1970's, but these are probably the most
common.

Mark Zenier
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9 May 2007 03:26:31 -0700, Ancient_Hacker put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a nice old HP 5340A counter that isnt working. A little
peeking at signals shows that the two state-machine control PROMS are
loopy. They output "1"s all the time. Luckily the service manual
lists the data that used to be in them. So burning new ones is a
possibility. But:

They're old old 16-pin proms, 5 address lines by eight bits out.

Inputs on 10-14, outputs on 1-8 and 9.

Does anyone know of anything with a similar pinout?

If pin 8 is ground, then it looks like a DM74S188 (open collector) or
DM74S288 (tri-state).

Other possible parts are N82S123 / N82S23, AM27S19C, MMI6331, IM5610C,
SN74S288N, etc.

I have an N82S123 which I can program for you. It's yours for the cost
of postage from Australia.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 9, 4:16 pm, Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

The TI version was TIB18S030. You can get the 74S288 at Jameco for a
reasonable price.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...roductId=48717

I'm in Southern CA and can program it if you supply the chip and data
file -- all 32 bytes.

GG

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Thu, 10 May 2007 09:16:55 +1000 Franc Zabkar
wrote in Message id:
:

On 9 May 2007 03:26:31 -0700, Ancient_Hacker put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a nice old HP 5340A counter that isnt working. A little
peeking at signals shows that the two state-machine control PROMS are
loopy. They output "1"s all the time. Luckily the service manual
lists the data that used to be in them. So burning new ones is a
possibility. But:

They're old old 16-pin proms, 5 address lines by eight bits out.

Inputs on 10-14, outputs on 1-8 and 9.

Does anyone know of anything with a similar pinout?

If pin 8 is ground, then it looks like a DM74S188 (open collector) or
DM74S288 (tri-state).

If they are, the OP should check pin 15 to be sure that the devices are
being enabled. From my experiences, when a '288 goes south, it's outputs
tend to drive low.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

On 9 May 2007 03:26:31 -0700, Ancient_Hacker put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a nice old HP 5340A counter that isnt working. A little
peeking at signals shows that the two state-machine control PROMS are
loopy. They output "1"s all the time. Luckily the service manual
lists the data that used to be in them. So burning new ones is a
possibility. But:

They're old old 16-pin proms, 5 address lines by eight bits out.

Inputs on 10-14, outputs on 1-8 and 9.

Does anyone know of anything with a similar pinout?

If pin 8 is ground, then it looks like a DM74S188 (open collector) or
DM74S288 (tri-state).

If they are, the OP should check pin 15 to be sure that the devices are
being enabled. From my experiences, when a '288 goes south, it's outputs
tend to drive low.

Thanks to all for the info and kind offers.

One problem though-- the manual I got from the Agilent site seems to
have been partly OCR'ed-- and the tables of data for the PROMS has a
few garbled and missing bits!!! What a bummer!!

Does anyone have an actual manual for the 5340A? Or a PROM
dump?

Multitudinous thanks in advance,

A_H

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10 May 2007 03:39:33 -0700, Ancient_Hacker put
finger to keyboard and composed:

One problem though-- the manual I got from the Agilent site seems to
have been partly OCR'ed-- and the tables of data for the PROMS has a
few garbled and missing bits!!! What a bummer!!

In the absence of a printed manual or a PROM programmer, why not
verify the contents of your own PROMs using a little jig consisting of
5 DIP switches and, if necessary, 8 pullup resistors and 8 LEDs?

- Franc Zabkar