Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Another silly symcure

OK, sitting here trying to print the print for this Toshiba that is
being stubborn, I gave up. Disgusted, I purged all print jobs. Fukum,
print it at work. In fact I just unplugged the printer.

My latest folly into the twilight zone was that the set came in with
basically no convergence correction, scoping the outputs and checking
the supplies revealed nothing. The convergence output board was simply
not being driven.

Well, one audio IC later the set is fixed.

This is an ITC222 52". We know the audio is not tied to the
convergence.

Well, I learned something that day, the audio IC's heatsink is not
ground. Funny, I was trying to keep it away from the power board lest
a hot and cold heatsink touch.

What is really wierd is that it blew the audio IC, not anything
pertaining to the power to it. It went into the three strikes mode.

Nice how they do that isn't it ? It was just a matter of two heatsinks
touching, in an terrible servicing environment that THEY created.

Now remember, I found no bad components either on the convergence PS
or the output board. There was no significant offset on any of the
outputs. Nothing.

So then I fired the set up with the audio PS plug disconnected. Now
the convergence is fine.

It has fired up multiple times just fine and I'm shipping it. The only
thing I can figure is that there was a data error somehow and the set
basically forgot it was an RPTV. Everything else was fine.

So that's an actual symcure, if all is well except convergence, find a
non-destructive way to make the set shut down and go into three
strikes mode. Somehow it defaults, and the convergence was perfect,
well really good. Didn't even have to set the center.

Really, all that requires is to short out one of the supplies, even
off the flyback. You might get that done without even removing the
board.

Of course software problems can be addressed with a PC, but we don't
have the newer interfaces, and we are reluctant to upgrade because
these things are such a piece of crap.

I would almost rather work on an Apex RPTV or a Akai/Samsung. But I
said almost, it is pretty much a tie at this point.

BTW folks, BEWARE that the Akai/Samsung units have high current focus.
A shorted CRT socket blows the FCB (or sixpack) really fast. Look for
those coolant leaks. That causes it.

In fact on all RPTVs, look for coolant.

So anyway, I know these manufacturers are trying to drive me crazy,
but I got news for them. It is too late.

JURB

Serious glue silly me [email protected] UK diy 1 October 25th 06 12:10 AM
A very silly question [email protected] UK diy 35 September 28th 06 09:44 AM
Silly Sewer [email protected] Home Repair 6 August 17th 06 07:01 AM
Silly me, follow up.. Tim Lamb UK diy 0 March 4th 06 10:05 AM
Silly me:-( Tim Lamb UK diy 4 February 23rd 06 09:54 PM