Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Default Where to scavenge mu-metal?

MassiveProng wrote in
:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:50:43 GMT, Rich Grise Gave
us:

Hey, Michael - just because _you_ can't figure out which name I'm using,
doesn't mean that _I_ can't. ;-)

Bool****. Have another drink, you alcoholic retard.

I use the different names to distinguish between whether I'm being
technical or goofing around.

More bool****. You use them because secretly you want us all to know
just how retarded you really are.

Some people don't afford such simple considerations. :-)

You're an idiot.

Wanna play?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Ian Ian is offline

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 02:29:41 +0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
" wrote:

No, he just can't figure out which of 20 names to use.

Hey, Michael - just because _you_ can't figure out which name I'm using,
doesn't mean that _I_ can't. ;-)

I use the different names to distinguish between whether I'm being
technical or goofing around.

Some people don't afford such simple considerations. :-)

Thanks!
Rich

Are you a solipsist, Rich?

Regards
Ian

;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

You may find the cast-iron door of an old stove or wood furnace will
be all you need.

Now *there's* a mental picture that deserves framing!
--
Sparky

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Think of it as a single, shorted secondary turn but *outside* the
laminations. Any field that leaks out of the transformer induces a
current into the strap, and it in turn generates a field that fights
the excitation. It should be thick, wide, and well-shorted, which
means well soldered. Copper is best.

John

No need to ground, I presume...

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:01:56 -0700, SparkyGuy
Gave us:

Think of it as a single, shorted secondary turn but *outside* the
laminations. Any field that leaks out of the transformer induces a
current into the strap, and it in turn generates a field that fights
the excitation. It should be thick, wide, and well-shorted, which
means well soldered. Copper is best.

John

No need to ground, I presume...

Have you formed the leads going to your project into twisted pair
yet? I guarantee that will reduce injected noise a LOT.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Don Lancaster wrote:

SparkyGuy wrote:
Is this stuff prolific in old CRT monitors, or TVs? Need about a square
foot or so...

Sparky

As soon as you cut it or otherwise stress it, mu metal becomes worthless.

That is a completely garbage overstatement. Just the same, any tight bend
(bending r less than 10 thicknesses) will require annealing in a reducing
atmosphere.
It is really quite intolerant of cold working if you wish to maintain the
magnetic properties. Do not even flex it unnecessarily.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.Â*Â*