Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Help Identifying a Plug/socket

I'm hoping someone can help me identify (and thus hopefully find a
replacement for) a plug used inside an aged hi fi loudspeaker.

Specifically, it is the plug that attaches the signal cable to the
chassis of a Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold "dual concentric" driver
(i.e. the tweeter is mounted at the centre of the bass driver).

Wiggling that cable has revealed a fault in either the plug itself or
in the cable just back from it. "Dry Joint" comes to mind. But
the plug is awkward to disassemble --- it is held together by bending
lugs over some kind of fibrous plate that has the actual pins in it
--- and I'm worried I might damage it.

I'd like to replace it with a new plug. But I can't even look for
one, because I don't know what this type of plug/socket is called

The socket is round, and roughly the size of a finger nail, with four
places-for-pins-to-go arranged in a "slightly tapered square" (i.e. the
plug will only go in one way round).

The plug itself looks a bit like a short, fat coax blug but with
(obviously) four pins!

I've found a photo of the driver at...

http://www.oldhifi.com/tannoymonitorgold.jpg

The socket for the plug I'm talking about can be seen on the chassis
of the speaker, about 80% of the way down the centre line of the photo.

Can anyone tell me what a plug/socket of this type is called? And
where I might be able to get a replacement plug?

Robert.

--
|_) _ |_ _ ._ |- | So what? It's easier for me, so I'll do it!