Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Gas oven jamming garage door opener remotes???

Yup I get it.......

*** APRIL FOOL ***

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 02:21:54 GMT, Joy wrote:

Has anyone ever hear of something like this? Does it sound like defective
oven? How to fix???

My neighbor just had a set of new garage door openers installed. The
remotes didn't work. Installer couldn't figure it out. Gave up and removed
openers.

Second guy with different openers had same problem but finally traced it
to the Kitchen Aid Superba gas oven (NOT microwave) since everything works
fine once the oven is unplugged. I THINK the oven is on a different
circuit than the openers. It seems to be putting out some frequency that
is jamming the remotes. The oven does not have to be on to jam, just
plugged it. Installer says he's never seen a problem like it.

What could cause an oven to do this???

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Joy

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"Joy" wrote in message
news
What could cause an oven to do this???

Reporting back to its home planet?

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Joy, 3/31/2007,10:21:54 PM, wrote:

Has anyone ever hear of something like this? Does it sound like
defective oven? How to fix???

My neighbor just had a set of new garage door openers installed. The
remotes didn't work. Installer couldn't figure it out. Gave up and
removed openers.

Second guy with different openers had same problem but finally traced
it to the Kitchen Aid Superba gas oven (NOT microwave) since
everything works fine once the oven is unplugged. I THINK the oven
is on a different circuit than the openers. It seems to be putting
out some frequency that is jamming the remotes. The oven does not
have to be on to jam, just plugged it. Installer says he's never
seen a problem like it.

What could cause an oven to do this???

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Joy

The only thing I can think of would be that the range's electronics are
so messed up that it is emitting much electrical noise into the house's
electrical wiring. Maybe the RF receiver of the garage door opener is
too sensitive to noise and can't decipher the signal from the remotes.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Joy wrote:
Has anyone ever hear of something like this? Does it sound like
defective oven? How to fix???

My neighbor just had a set of new garage door openers installed. The
remotes didn't work. Installer couldn't figure it out. Gave up and
removed openers.

Second guy with different openers had same problem but finally traced
it to the Kitchen Aid Superba gas oven (NOT microwave) since everything
works fine once the oven is unplugged. I THINK the oven is on a
different circuit than the openers. It seems to be putting out some
frequency that is jamming the remotes. The oven does not have to be on
to jam, just plugged it. Installer says he's never seen a problem like it.

What could cause an oven to do this???

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Joy

Hi,
It sounds like the conrol circuitry of oven is emitting RF signal and
swamping the garage door opener's receiver. If it has pig tail antenna,
make it as short as posible and see. Or I know opener circuitry does not
have good shielding but first thing to do is to contact oven
manufacturer and FCC as well, I guess. Being a retired EE, I think I can
tackle like this if it were in my neighborhood but really it is oven
manufacturer's responsibility.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Joy wrote:
Has anyone ever hear of something like this? Does it sound like
defective oven? How to fix???

My neighbor just had a set of new garage door openers installed. The
remotes didn't work. Installer couldn't figure it out. Gave up and
removed openers.

Second guy with different openers had same problem but finally traced it
to the Kitchen Aid Superba gas oven (NOT microwave) since everything
works fine once the oven is unplugged. I THINK the oven is on a
different circuit than the openers. It seems to be putting out some
frequency that is jamming the remotes. The oven does not have to be on
to jam, just plugged it. Installer says he's never seen a problem like it.

What could cause an oven to do this???

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Joy

You might try posting this issue at
http://forum.kitchenaid.com/

Good Luck
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Joy;
I am not familiar with your oven, so can only speak generally. I am also
guessing you are in the US.

A lot of new appliances have electronic controls which contain a
computer processor (CPU) and a display. Additionally something like a
gas oven might contain an igniter. Those types of circuits can emit
radio frequency energy. Since your oven does this when its not being
used, I would suspect that the igniter is not the problem, but more
likely the CPU or display, or a perhaps it's power supply. A CPU has an
oscillator clock which can run in the many megahertz. The display is
also clocked and can radiate signals. I would guess that the proximity
of the oven to your garage receiver is very close as in many homes the are.

First;
If your garage door installer can install the receiver on a distant part
of the house, yet still visible to the driveway, it may work.

Secondly; There are some avenues to consider which would start with
lodging a formal complaint with the oven manufacturer and copying to the
Federal Communications Commission OET Bureau. It is possible that the
oven is generating excessive radio frequency interference (RFI), and the
manufacturer should be interested in resolving this as they must comply
to FCC rules (CFR47 Part 15). Those rules do permit some unintentional
radiation, but since it appears that the level of interference is higher
than permitted for an "intentional radiator" (Your garage door
transmitter), it is possible the oven is operating outside FCC
permissable specifications. Unfortunately, my experience with appliance
manufacturers is that they hide behind a cloak of service subcontractors
and once the product is out the door, getting the manufacturer to
respond is nearly imposssible.

Third, the garage door opener normally operates in a frequency band
which is also used for militrary and airforce communications, so the FCC
should be concerned about a consumer product radiating a strong signal
in that band. If they are doing their job, the FCC would at a minimum
research the certifications for the oven to see if the manufacturer did
the required testing. You would be surprised how many don't.

Finally; A more practical solution would be to find out if the garage
door opener is available with a remote system operating in a different
frequency band. It was recently necessary to modify many garage door
openers because military bases nearby were installing new radio systems
which created constant interference to garage door openers.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Joy wrote:
Has anyone ever hear of something like this? Does it sound like
defective oven? How to fix???

My neighbor just had a set of new garage door openers installed. The
remotes didn't work. Installer couldn't figure it out. Gave up and
removed openers.

Second guy with different openers had same problem but finally traced
it to the Kitchen Aid Superba gas oven (NOT microwave) since everything
works fine once the oven is unplugged. I THINK the oven is on a
different circuit than the openers. It seems to be putting out some
frequency that is jamming the remotes. The oven does not have to be on
to jam, just plugged it. Installer says he's never seen a problem like it.

What could cause an oven to do this???

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Joy

My gas stove burner spark igniter interferes with some things, but that
only fires off when the burners are being lit. I have no idea what would
cause it with the oven, those normally use a hot surface igniter. You
could try plugging it into an RFI filter and see if that helps.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Joy wrote:
Has anyone ever hear of something like this? Does it sound like
defective oven? How to fix???

My neighbor just had a set of new garage door openers installed. The
remotes didn't work. Installer couldn't figure it out. Gave up and
removed openers.

Second guy with different openers had same problem but finally traced
it to the Kitchen Aid Superba gas oven (NOT microwave) since everything
works fine once the oven is unplugged. I THINK the oven is on a
different circuit than the openers. It seems to be putting out some
frequency that is jamming the remotes. The oven does not have to be on
to jam, just plugged it. Installer says he's never seen a problem like it.

What could cause an oven to do this???

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Joy

Oh another thing came to mind, make sure the oven is properly grounded.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

we live within 600 yds of navy base, they do regular comms to who knows
where, daily and frequently. local cable tv system was receiving plenty of
what seemed to be quite interesting internal audio comms right into the
line, that went right into our ears as we were viewing the various cable
channels. cable guy kept ragging that we had bad receivers, navy denied
it even was happening, talk about homeland security holes, yeee gads!

finally was cured when lightning strike toasted three stop band filters that
had to be replaced on aerial line running to our neighbor hood.

made life fun at any rate.

Joy wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:
Joy wrote:
[...]

Hi..

Wonder if a coupla ferrite beads on the power line feeding
the receiver might help?

Take care

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Very good point!

James Sweet wrote:

Joy wrote:

[...]

Chamberlain/liftmaster garage door remotes don't work anymore [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 18th 07 02:17 AM
Garage door remotes Bill Home Repair 3 May 31st 06 09:34 PM
Universal garage door remotes? Proctologically Violated©® Home Repair 4 May 7th 06 06:22 AM
Garage door openers: generic remotes, defeating the electric eye Proctologically Violated©® Home Repair 6 April 17th 06 04:31 AM
Garage Door Opener Remotes [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 25th 05 03:11 PM