Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dial-Up Connection "Accelerator" Technique

Hi,

How does an "accelerator" work for dial-up connections to make
transfers faster?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brad wrote:
How does an "accelerator" work for dial-up connections to make
transfers faster?

By reading sites through a proxy run by the makers of the program, which
compresses everything (including the images, at a loss) so that it all
takes less bandwidth.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:06:18 -0400, NRen2k5 wrote:

Brad wrote:
How does an "accelerator" work for dial-up connections to make
transfers faster?

By reading sites through a proxy run by the makers of the program, which
compresses everything (including the images, at a loss) so that it all
takes less bandwidth.snip

Dial-up "accelerators" are a ripoff and generally only speed up simple
text and other really simply compressed stuff. JPEGS and MPEGS will
get squashed and corrupted. Useless for modern web sites, etc. Net
Zero is trying to make a bundle off their "accelerator" service. It
is a complete sham. So is "Earthfink." Why bother with a ripoff
accelerator, when Verizon (in some markets) is now offering ADSL (not
that good...768 Kb/s tops) for $9.95/mo.? Even ADSL can beat any
"accelerator" and frees up a phone line.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brad ) writes:
Hi,

How does an "accelerator" work for dial-up connections to make
transfers faster?

What does this have to do with the repair of electronic equipment?

None at all. It belongs in some computer newsgroup, so go and fine it.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:07:42 GMT, Brad wrote:

Hi,

How does an "accelerator" work for dial-up connections to make
transfers faster?

For the most part, they don't. They can route data through a proxy and keep
a cache of frequently requested pages on your system. They can incorporate
data compression to reduce the size of the data transfered.

The idea getting five-fold speed improvements is pure fantasy.

They're typically good for 5-15%.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"DeserTBoB" wrote in message

Dial-up "accelerators" are a ripoff and generally only speed up simple
text and other really simply compressed stuff.

Google's is free and effective.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 26, 7:06 am, NRen2k5 wrote:
Brad wrote:
How does an "accelerator" work for dial-up connections to make
transfers faster?

By reading sites through a proxy run by the makers of the program, which
compresses everything (including the images, at a loss) so that it all
takes less bandwidth.

I believe some of them also download pages that are associated with
the page you are currently viewing in the background - you click a
link on your current page, and if you're lucky, some of the page
you're going to is already there.

Jerry

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in news:fdWNh.15552$__3.6943
@edtnps90:

"DeserTBoB" wrote in message

Dial-up "accelerators" are a ripoff and generally only speed up simple
text and other really simply compressed stuff.

Google's is free and effective.

But "Dial-up users may not see much improvement, as Google Web Accelerator
is currently optimized to speed up web page loading for broadband
connections."

http://webaccelerator.google.com/support.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:29:23 -0700, DeserTBoB wrote:

|Dial-up "accelerators" are a ripoff and generally only speed up simple
|text and other really simply compressed stuff. JPEGS and MPEGS will
|get squashed and corrupted. Useless for modern web sites, etc. Net
|Zero is trying to make a bundle off their "accelerator" service. It
|is a complete sham. So is "Earthfink." Why bother with a ripoff
|accelerator, when Verizon (in some markets) is now offering ADSL (not
|that good...768 Kb/s tops) for $9.95/mo.? Even ADSL can beat any
|"accelerator" and frees up a phone line.

All modems have always had V32/V42biz LAPM Data Compression built
into the modems rochwell chipset even software/win modems......

Some Programs like DAP download while emulating as much as 10
connections on the same file at once, like multiple modems, and that is a
faster download.
--
Triad Productions-Fantalla©~EZine~ParaNovel
National Astrophysical Assault Research
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Black wrote:

so go and fine it.