Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default out of circuit test for transistors

I was working on a couple of battery powered flourescent lights. I don't
know the make / model number because i had to peel the label off to get
at the circuit, which consisted of one transistor (S8040 npn) , a
transformer and a few r's and c's.
In the first unit , the transistor was open b-e, so i replaced it
with a BFY50, and the light worked.
In the second unit, the transistor tested OK (out of circuit) so i
resolered it and the light still didnt work. Replacing the S8050 fixed
the problem. Presumably the transistor was breaking down at the battery
voltage (6v).
My question is, are there more effective ways of testing transtors
that will pick up faulty ones that test OK with an out of circuit DMM
diode test? Or are there DMMs out there that will detect this kind of
fault with a higher test voltage?

PS. I just tested the s8050 with my old Beckman meter which used a
higher test voltage (because i can test LEDs with that one), and it
indicated a Vb-e drop of over 1v so i have just answered my own
question. I suppose i need a better DMM.

cheers
Neil.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"neil" wrote in message
n...

I suppose i need a better DMM.

A DMM isn't much good for this sort of testing. Trying in circuit is usually
the only way.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"neil" wrote in message
n...
[...]

There is no general-purpose, out-of-circuit transistor tester that is always
reliable, perhaps short of a curve tracer. With a curve tracer, one can
sweep Vce over the working range and choose the base current steps and view
the collector family of characteristic curves. But, curve tracers also have
a few limitations (e.g. high-frequency devices). In-circuit testing
requires some knowledge, but is mostly the best way to go

ESR & low resistance test meter - free circuit Homer J Simpson Electronics Repair 7 October 29th 06 05:23 AM
Transistors Henry Electronics 11 January 17th 06 01:26 AM
Old Transistors Ron Thompson Electronics Repair 26 September 16th 05 05:07 AM
A/C Unit Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker - How to test breaker before calling repair man? C5Ya Home Repair 10 August 26th 05 07:34 PM
simple EPROM test circuit Steve Lewinsky Electronics 2 November 22nd 03 11:56 PM