Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UPDATE: Most Common Problem With Floppy Disk Drives

Hi,

One problem floppy drive in a laptop, I hear a "wine" noise (belt slip)
during an attempt to read a floppy. I removed the floppy drive and checked
it. I removed the belt and cleaned it with a rubber cleaner/revitalizer.
Afterwards, no more "wine" noise and the floppy drive can read/write now.

I would like to buy a new belt, but this belt is very small in thickness
(can't use any other type of belt), and I doubt I can find a source that
sells them.
Brad

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:36:04 GMT, (Brad) wrote:

Hi,

I have three computers that developed problems with reading floppy disks.
Note: This problem occurred at a different time for each computer.

What is the most common problem with floppy disk drives?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Brad" wrote in message

I would like to buy a new belt, but this belt is very small in
thickness
(can't use any other type of belt), and I doubt I can find a source that
sells them.

Try a hydraulics shop for o-rings and other seals.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brad wrote:

Hi,

One problem floppy drive in a laptop, I hear a "wine" noise (belt slip)
during an attempt to read a floppy. I removed the floppy drive and checked
it. I removed the belt and cleaned it with a rubber cleaner/revitalizer.
Afterwards, no more "wine" noise and the floppy drive can read/write now.

I would like to buy a new belt, but this belt is very small in thickness
(can't use any other type of belt), and I doubt I can find a source that
sells them.

A floppy drive with a belt, and in a laptop? I haven't seen anything
but direct drive motors in floppy drives, since the 360K full height
5.25" drives went away. Who made the drive, and what is the model
number?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" ) writes:
Brad wrote:

Hi,

One problem floppy drive in a laptop, I hear a "wine" noise (belt slip)
during an attempt to read a floppy. I removed the floppy drive and checked
it. I removed the belt and cleaned it with a rubber cleaner/revitalizer.
Afterwards, no more "wine" noise and the floppy drive can read/write now.

I would like to buy a new belt, but this belt is very small in thickness
(can't use any other type of belt), and I doubt I can find a source that
sells them.

A floppy drive with a belt, and in a laptop? I haven't seen anything
but direct drive motors in floppy drives, since the 360K full height
5.25" drives went away. Who made the drive, and what is the model
number?

I'm sure I've seen belts in 3.5" laptop drives, but they'd date
from a time when the floppy drives were the only storage the laptop
had.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:16:47 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

A floppy drive with a belt, and in a laptop? I haven't seen anything
but direct drive motors in floppy drives, since the 360K full height
5.25" drives went away. Who made the drive, and what is the model
number?

My AcerNote Lite laptops use external floppy drives which have a belt drive.

I suspect it is done to achieve a low profile (although why a low profile
matters on an external drive is a mystery).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Black wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ) writes:
Brad wrote:

[...]

I've seen hundreds of 3.5" drives, including the early full height,
but never one with a drive belt.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Splork wrote in
:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 20:02:19 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

"Brad" wrote in message

I would like to buy a new belt, but this belt is very small in
thickness
(can't use any other type of belt), and I doubt I can find a source
that sells them.

Try a hydraulics shop for o-rings and other seals.

For belts, I have been lucky here. Menu on left side: Belts

Where is 'here'? I don't see any menu on the left side of my screen. I am
using xnews to read the sci.electonics.repair newsgroup.

I am guessing that you are using google groups or some other way of
reading news groups, but you need to keep in minds that many others are
not doing so and are not seeing the ads that you are seeing.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bz wrote:

Where is 'here'? I don't see any menu on the left side of my screen. I am
using xnews to read the sci.electonics.repair newsgroup.

I am guessing that you are using google groups or some other way of
reading news groups, but you need to keep in minds that many others are
not doing so and are not seeing the ads that you are seeing.

There are no URLs in his message. He must have forgot to paste them
in.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

A floppy drive with a belt, and in a laptop? I haven't seen anything
but direct drive motors in floppy drives, since the 360K full height
5.25" drives went away. Who made the drive, and what is the model
number?

I had a Toshiba Satellite 100 (I think). It was a PI-75, with a 540 MB HDD.
Its floppy drive spindle was belt driven from a DC-PM motor.I think though,
the slightly newert Laptop I have has a direct drive floppy.