Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default UPDATE: Most Common Problem With Floppy Disk Drives

"Michael A. Terrell" ) writes:
Brad wrote:

Hi,

One problem floppy drive in a laptop, I hear a "wine" noise (belt slip)
during an attempt to read a floppy. I removed the floppy drive and checked
it. I removed the belt and cleaned it with a rubber cleaner/revitalizer.
Afterwards, no more "wine" noise and the floppy drive can read/write now.

I would like to buy a new belt, but this belt is very small in thickness
(can't use any other type of belt), and I doubt I can find a source that
sells them.

A floppy drive with a belt, and in a laptop? I haven't seen anything
but direct drive motors in floppy drives, since the 360K full height
5.25" drives went away. Who made the drive, and what is the model
number?

I'm sure I've seen belts in 3.5" laptop drives, but they'd date
from a time when the floppy drives were the only storage the laptop
had.

Michael