Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GD GD is offline

Default DVD PLAYER FREEZES UP

I have DVD player that will freeze up, while playing. The image stays on
but with no further progress. At times when this happens,the player will not
respond from remote control. I pull out power plug, restart movie and often
times it will freeze in almost the same spot on the movie. The DVD is new,
and it happens with others in much the same way. The player is a Cyber Home,
and hasn't had much play time hours. Any Suggestions?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GD wrote:
I have DVD player that will freeze up, while playing. The image stays on
but with no further progress. At times when this happens,the player will not
respond from remote control. I pull out power plug, restart movie and often
times it will freeze in almost the same spot on the movie. The DVD is new,
and it happens with others in much the same way. The player is a Cyber Home,
and hasn't had much play time hours. Any Suggestions?

Could be a capacitor in the power supply, dirty optical pickup, dried up
grease, feel free to open it up and fiddle with it, Cyber Home is a
bargain bin cheapie so you won't find a tech willing to work on it and
it would cost more than buying a new one. If it's less than a year old
it might be under warranty.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 28 Jan, 08:02, James Sweet wrote:
Cyber Home is a
bargain bin cheapie so you won't find a tech willing to work on it

Agreed. Toss it and buy another one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GD wrote:
I have DVD player that will freeze up, while playing. The image stays on
but with no further progress. At times when this happens,the player will not
respond from remote control. I pull out power plug, restart movie and often
times it will freeze in almost the same spot on the movie. The DVD is new,
and it happens with others in much the same way. The player is a Cyber Home,
and hasn't had much play time hours. Any Suggestions?

Is the DVD gold on the bottom. If it is then it is a dual-layer disc.
Some players, especially the cheap-ass ones, don't like these but the
name-brand players don't have any trouble playing them.

Anyway if I were you I would exchange it for a Sony, JVC, Panasonic or
Toshiba.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article JMYuh.177$li4.76@trndny08,
James Sweet wrote:
GD wrote:
I have DVD player that will freeze up, while playing. The image stays on
but with no further progress. At times when this happens,the player will not
respond from remote control. I pull out power plug, restart movie and often
times it will freeze in almost the same spot on the movie. The DVD is new,
and it happens with others in much the same way. The player is a Cyber Home,
and hasn't had much play time hours. Any Suggestions?

Could be a capacitor in the power supply, dirty optical pickup, dried up
grease, feel free to open it up and fiddle with it, Cyber Home is a
bargain bin cheapie so you won't find a tech willing to work on it and
it would cost more than buying a new one. If it's less than a year old
it might be under warranty.

In addition to the above, some Cyberhome models (eg the CH-DVD3xx series)
have a flexible cable going to the optical pickup which is too short, and
with time the wires inside it can break or become intermittent. This can
be an additional cause for symptoms such as those the OP described.

Cyberhome USA is defunct after the US Customs seizure last spring, so even
if professional repair were chosen, the available of custom parts (like the
optical pickup) is doubtful.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 04:15:34 -0800, Archie McRimmon
put finger to keyboard and composed:

GD wrote:
I have DVD player that will freeze up, while playing. The image stays on
but with no further progress. At times when this happens,the player will not
respond from remote control. I pull out power plug, restart movie and often
times it will freeze in almost the same spot on the movie. The DVD is new,
and it happens with others in much the same way. The player is a Cyber Home,
and hasn't had much play time hours. Any Suggestions?

Is the DVD gold on the bottom. If it is then it is a dual-layer disc.
Some players, especially the cheap-ass ones, don't like these but the
name-brand players don't have any trouble playing them.

Anyway if I were you I would exchange it for a Sony, JVC, Panasonic or
Toshiba.

Lately I've been taking a close look at the innards of DVD players. It
seems to me that the cheap players most often have Sony or Sanyo laser
pickups.

For example, a cheap Teac DVD-2120 player (a rebadged Nintaus N9321)
uses a Sony KHM-280AAA pickup.

FWIW, a Harman Kardon DVD22 player uses a Sanyo DV34
pickup, the same as my cheap $40 supermarket player.

See http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Service...DVD22%20sm.pdf

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://www.drx9000repair.netfirms.co...ome%20CH%20300