Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default DVD PLAYER FREEZES UP

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 04:15:34 -0800, Archie McRimmon
put finger to keyboard and composed:

GD wrote:
I have DVD player that will freeze up, while playing. The image stays on
but with no further progress. At times when this happens,the player will not
respond from remote control. I pull out power plug, restart movie and often
times it will freeze in almost the same spot on the movie. The DVD is new,
and it happens with others in much the same way. The player is a Cyber Home,
and hasn't had much play time hours. Any Suggestions?

Is the DVD gold on the bottom. If it is then it is a dual-layer disc.
Some players, especially the cheap-ass ones, don't like these but the
name-brand players don't have any trouble playing them.

Anyway if I were you I would exchange it for a Sony, JVC, Panasonic or
Toshiba.

Lately I've been taking a close look at the innards of DVD players. It
seems to me that the cheap players most often have Sony or Sanyo laser
pickups.

For example, a cheap Teac DVD-2120 player (a rebadged Nintaus N9321)
uses a Sony KHM-280AAA pickup.

FWIW, a Harman Kardon DVD22 player uses a Sanyo DV34
pickup, the same as my cheap $40 supermarket player.

See http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Service...DVD22%20sm.pdf

- Franc Zabkar