Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Projection Lamp for projection TV

Andy asks:

I see these TV projection sets for under $1000 and it seems like
a good deal until I read that the lamp has a 90 day warranty or some
other short time.... And, from what I can find, the replacement lamps
are like $500 each.....

Does anyone here with experience in these items care to take
a minute to talk about the best, most reliable, projectors... or any
comments on lower cost projection lamps ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

Suggest not using any of the "Cheap" lamps in any of the units currently
available. The results of using some of the items, such as the LTI supplied
lamps, have only proven to cause more customer aggravation than want it is
worth. Stay with the manufacturer recommend replacement lamps. I'm sure
there are many other opinions about this subject but after servicing
multiple products by different manufacturers we find the previous
recommended suggestion viable.
"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Andy asks:

I see these TV projection sets for under $1000 and it seems like
a good deal until I read that the lamp has a 90 day warranty or some
other short time.... And, from what I can find, the replacement lamps
are like $500 each.....

Does anyone here with experience in these items care to take
a minute to talk about the best, most reliable, projectors... or any
comments on lower cost projection lamps ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

We sell mostly Sony and Mitsubishi RP sets and most of our clients come to
us when they have problems. Most have been getting 7000 to 9000 hours from
their lamps and most of the lamps sell for between $200 and $300. FP lamps
are higher powered and do not last as long and are usually more expensive.
The question is so broad that it is hard to give good advice. It is hard to
generalize. Are you referring to front projection systems? I suggest that
you choose a model that appeals to you then check the specifics for that
unit.

Ditto Art's comments on replacements.

Leonard

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Andy asks:

I see these TV projection sets for under $1000 and it seems like
a good deal until I read that the lamp has a 90 day warranty or some
other short time.... And, from what I can find, the replacement lamps
are like $500 each.....

Does anyone here with experience in these items care to take
a minute to talk about the best, most reliable, projectors... or any
comments on lower cost projection lamps ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy in Eureka, Texas

It has removed 22254 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Andy wrote:
Andy asks:

I see these TV projection sets for under $1000 and it seems like
a good deal until I read that the lamp has a 90 day warranty or some
other short time.... And, from what I can find, the replacement lamps
are like $500 each.....

Does anyone here with experience in these items care to take
a minute to talk about the best, most reliable, projectors... or any
comments on lower cost projection lamps ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Andy,

Many front projectors need lamps in about 2000 hours, and it is a bad
idea to try to reset the timer until the lamp just blows, as it can
cause serious damage to the projector. In some cases, it might kill
power supplies when it goes, or it might shatter, causing shards of
glass to go everywhere. Some lamps contain mercury and you certainly
don't want one of those shattering. Heck, it probably costs 10 cents an
hour for electricity to run the projector, you just don't get it as a
single item bill.

You have to look at the lamp as an operating expense of the projector.
So, if the bulb is $400 and lasts 2000 hours, that's 20 cents per hour
for a lamp. It's sort of like buying $400 worth of tires for you car
every 40,000 miles. It's a 1 cent per mile cost.

My father uses his projector several hours per day, and I just replace
the lamp in his 20 month old projector, which was worth doing. I use my
projector much less, around 5-8 hours per week. So I expect that when I
need a lamp, my projector will be 8 or 10 years old, and I'll want to
replace the entire projector, as the technology will have made advances
(or so I hope) by then.

Hope this helps you make a decision. Also, I agree with the other
replies, use a factory approved lamp.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim Schwartz wrote:
Andy wrote:
[...]

BTW, 2000 hours is getting to be the standard, but half that used to be
common...and still is for high-powered presentation projectors.

You have to look at the lamp as an operating expense of the
projector. So, if the bulb is $400 and lasts 2000 hours, that's 20
cents per hour for a lamp. It's sort of like buying $400 worth of tires
for you car every 40,000 miles. It's a 1 cent per mile cost.

the only way I'll buy one is if I have some possibility of gettng some
rental income from the deal. That's a possibility in my business; but
clients are buying their own much more often as they get smaller and
cheaper.

My father uses his projector several hours per day, and I just
replace the lamp in his 20 month old projector, which was worth doing.
I use my projector much less, around 5-8 hours per week. So I expect
that when I need a lamp, my projector will be 8 or 10 years old, and
I'll want to replace the entire projector, as the technology will have
made advances (or so I hope) by then.

You're father may find that after a bulb change or two, that other parts
of the unit begin to deteriorate, depending on the model and make. LCD
panels warp from heat and sometimes discolor or quit entirely...likewise
polarization filters and other plastic parts. Power supply components
are not always spec'd for long life and fall victim to under-rating and
heat.

That's a lot of BTU's to contain in such a small place. Make sure it
gets adequate ventilation.

Hope this helps you make a decision. Also, I agree with the other
replies, use a factory approved lamp.

I'll buy one eventually; but I'm put off by the proprietary nature of
the bulbs. I wish there was a viable alternative....

jak

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics