Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Power supply problem

I'm having problems that I'm pretty sure are related to my power
supply.

I installed a new dvd burner in my system. The system booted up fine.
It recognized the DVD player and installed it. It told me that I had
to reboot the system to complete the installation. I rebooted it and
it worked fine for about 5 minutes. After about 5 minutes after reboot
the system shut off just like I unplugged the computer. I was standing
near the computer but not actually using it while this happened.

The computer has not booted since. If you push the on switch,
absolutely nothing happens.
I have unpluged and repluged the computer into several different
plugs. I bought a new more powerful power supply and installed it but
the system is still dead. There is a light on the motherboard and
there is a light which goes on and off as I turn the computer on and
off with the dsl plug. So it appears that I am getting power. I
returned the new power supply and got another. And the exact same
thing happens with the 3rd power supply.

I had the exact same systems happened when I got the computer 2 years
ago. The original power supply failed, I installed a second, when I
brought it to a shop they installed a third power supply and told me
that the power supply I purchased was bad.

This all started when I installed a new DVD burner. Since the system
booted, installed the DVD player and then rebooted sucessfully, I doubt
that there was any problems with the DVD installation. I could have
overloaded the old power supply.

Is there anything else I can check?

My motherboard is an ASUS A7n8x-e Deluxe