Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default quasar 32" tv shuts down after 10 minutes and then restarts

Ok, I have a 1996 quasar 32 inch tv (model
sp3118u chassis aedc274) that only stays on for about 10 minutes. The tv
then turns off and will restart, all by itself, 5 to 30 minutes latter. when
I comes on, it is in the menu screen, but not always.

Here is what I have done so far.
1. replaced the voltage regulator (was dead from previous owner)
2. replaced the flyback (was not well !!!)
3. re-soldered ALL (and I do mean all) connections on the main chassis
board.
4 re-supported the main chassis board, as it was sagging in the middle (kind
of like me!!)
5. ran the set on a variac at about 80 vac.
6. removed the set back and run the set with a very high speed fan, blowing
on all components.

none of these things helped. Some of the time, a good sharp wack to the side
of the tv will bring it back. Other times nothing....

When the tv cuts out, there is a funnel shaped raster line that appears on
the screen starting from mid screen tapering to the bottom, but this is only
visible for a split second.

I am guessing that this is either a voltage issue, or a dried cap issue or
????? I am leaning towards caps, but I don't want to shotgun all the caps (I
spent way to much time soldering the entire chassis already.... anyone
have any suggestion as to what to test or where to start?????????

thanks in advance!!!
bob in phx

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob in Phx wrote:
Ok, I have a 1996 quasar 32 inch tv (model

anyone
have any suggestion as to what to test or where to start?????????

It's already 10 years old going on 11.

It's time to whack it one final time with a sledgehammer and go to
shopnbc where they have great deals on protron tvs

I suggest you buy a Protron.

They are having a great deal on a 37 inch under a thousand dollars and
you get a dvd player that not only plays regular DVDs but makes them
high-definition.

They even throw in the digital cable that they say is worth 100 dollars
alone.

and you can get a 200 dollar rebate.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

thanks for the advise, I will decline to destroy my tv. I am of a generation
that would rather fix, then buy disposable items. Call it green, call it
frugal, call it penny pinching,,,,
Id rather fix it then junk it...
bob in phx

now if any one has any repair advise, please feel free to post it for
me!!!!!!!!
"Malissa Baldwin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bob in Phx wrote:
Ok, I have a 1996 quasar 32 inch tv (model

anyone
have any suggestion as to what to test or where to start?????????

It's already 10 years old going on 11.

It's time to whack it one final time with a sledgehammer and go to
shopnbc where they have great deals on protron tvs

I suggest you buy a Protron.

They are having a great deal on a 37 inch under a thousand dollars and
you get a dvd player that not only plays regular DVDs but makes them
high-definition.

They even throw in the digital cable that they say is worth 100 dollars
alone.

and you can get a 200 dollar rebate.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:54:23 -0700, "Bob in Phx"
wrote:

[...]

I know you said you resoldered all connections on the main board but these sets are known for bad solder connections on the power relay. I'd

resolder these again. Chuck

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I serviced a couple Protron tv sets last week and they both had Orion
chassis boards in them .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Its fixed !!!!!!! the problem was a bad relay. Upon inspection of the relay
(read that I took out the relay and broke it open) one of the coil wires
suffered from a cold solder joint from the factory!!! I replaced the relay
and its been running for about three hours without an issue!! Thanks to
everyone who gave me suggestions, except the a$$hole who suggested a sledge
hammer.....

Now for the story behind the TV...
Awhile back a coworker of mine said he just got a new DLP TV and needed help
moving this TV down from the second story of his house. He also said that
the TV was dead. I offered to help and he gave me the dead TV as payment. He
thought that he was getting a deal because he didn't have to take it to the
dump. Well, I opened the old girl up and found a dead voltage regulator. I
replaced the voltage regulator and the set fired up. It worked great for
about 6 months. Then the flyback went south. I replaced the flyback. About 2
months after that, the automagic turn off and on started. Then I found the
bad relay.... This monster of a TV lives in my bedroom and is seldom used,
except by my wife. She got used to the TV turning off and didn't mention it
to me. I was wrapping xmas gifts with her one night, in our bedroom and the
TV turned itself off. She said, oh,, it does that sometimes..... So now its
fixed.... again. The set does have a great picture and nice sound, plus I
gave our 27 inch bedroom TV to my sister in law, so there was no going back
to the 27 incher!!!!!!

again, thanks for the suggestions...

bob in phx.
oups.com...