Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Vector 3,000 watt power inverter question

I just bought a Vector Maxx SST 3,000 power inverter. Hooked it up today to
my car battery. (Tried it with the motor running as well as without). When
I powered up the inverter, with a 40 watt light lamp load, I noticed the
light is pretty dim and the fans did not start and run on the inverter.
Looking through the owner's manual, I don't see where they say anything
about how the fans operate. I am wondering if someone out there might have
one of these inverters and can tell me if the fans are supposed to start as
soon as you apply the 12 volts or are they controlled by a thermostat and
only come on when needed?

So far I am really disappointed with this unit. I bought it to power a
microwave, toaster oven and some lights when the power goes out at my house
and I noticed first thing, in the owner's manual it says the inverter will
not power any "high wattage" equipment that produces heat, such as microwave
ovens. Yet, on the box, it says you can power a microwave oven. Looks to
me like false advertisement.

I also tried plugging in a little "milk house" heater that was set at the
1200 watt setting. It won't run. Monitoring the AC voltage out of the
inverter, I can see it go to zero when I turn on the heater.

Thanks for any help.