Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a UPS as an inverter/poertable power

Hi Guys (& Gals)

I was thinking the other week at the end of my camping holiday, that it
would be good if I had an inverter so that I could recharge my razor
and other low wattage rechargeable things (ok, mobile phones for which
I don't have a car charger). And I wondered about getting an inverter,
but it didn't seem worth the expense.

Then I thought, i've got an inverter! It's in the UPS which isn't used
when we are away camping, I could take it with me and wire it up to a
12V supply in the car, then I could charge the kit up.

Then I though, why bother connecting it up, it's only a baby APC UPS,
but it's probably got enough guts in the battery to run for half an
hour with the razor attached, and a couple of hours with the phone
charger.

What does the team think?

Would the battery hold it's charge for a week whilst the unit was
disconnected from the mains (assuming it was turned off).

Would it have sufficient charge to meet the power requirement?

Would it need to be hooked up to the car battery? and if so would a
simple parallel connection to the battery in the unit be sufficient?

What does the team think?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd spend 10 quid on a basic inverter:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...ter&category0=

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
Hi Guys (& Gals)

I was thinking the other week at the end of my camping holiday, that it
would be good if I had an inverter so that I could recharge my razor
and other low wattage rechargeable things (ok, mobile phones for which
I don't have a car charger). And I wondered about getting an inverter,
but it didn't seem worth the expense.

Then I thought, i've got an inverter! It's in the UPS which isn't used
when we are away camping, I could take it with me and wire it up to a
12V supply in the car, then I could charge the kit up.

Then I though, why bother connecting it up, it's only a baby APC UPS,
but it's probably got enough guts in the battery to run for half an
hour with the razor attached, and a couple of hours with the phone
charger.

What does the team think?

I have one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLINV150.html

and I'd recomend you get something similar than faffing about with taking
a UPS to bits, or relying on it working for the duration. Sometimes you
want to DIY, and sometimes you just want to plug & go

Gordon