Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Running a radio without speakers

Is it dangerous to the output transistors or something to run a radio
without speakers?

What if the volume control is kept at the minimum?

This wouldn't be a problem with a tube set iiuc, right?, but I'm not
so sure about transistors, if, say, the volume were accidentally
turned high. (No I didn't do that, but I was wondering how much
effort I should expend just so I can turn the set on and measure some
voltages.)

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:

Is it dangerous to the output transistors or something to run a radio
without speakers?

What if the volume control is kept at the minimum?

This wouldn't be a problem with a tube set iiuc, right?, but I'm not
so sure about transistors, if, say, the volume were accidentally
turned high. (No I didn't do that, but I was wondering how much
effort I should expend just so I can turn the set on and measure some
voltages.)

with tr amps its harmless, do what you like with the vol ctrl. With
most valve sets its harmless, but perhaps not all. Sometimes valve amps
were fitted with spark gaps on the output transformer HT side.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It is best to run any amplifier with a matched load. If you turn up the
volume, but not to the clipping point, there should not be any damage. But,
running any amplifier with no load is not something I would recommend.

--

JANA
_____

"mm" wrote in message
Is it dangerous to the output transistors or something to run a radio
without speakers?

What if the volume control is kept at the minimum?

This wouldn't be a problem with a tube set iiuc, right?, but I'm not
so sure about transistors, if, say, the volume were accidentally
turned high. (No I didn't do that, but I was wondering how much
effort I should expend just so I can turn the set on and measure some
voltages.)

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Is it dangerous to the output transistors or something to run a radio
without speakers?

What if the volume control is kept at the minimum?

This wouldn't be a problem with a tube set iiuc, right?, but I'm not
so sure about transistors, if, say, the volume were accidentally
turned high. (No I didn't do that, but I was wondering how much
effort I should expend just so I can turn the set on and measure some
voltages.)

With transistor amplifiers, they are all some form of emitter-followers
(common-collector) and they can run safely with no output load.

Tube amplifiers can produce voltage spikes when unloaded.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:35:26 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
Is it dangerous to the output transistors or something to run a radio
without speakers?

What if the volume control is kept at the minimum?

This wouldn't be a problem with a tube set iiuc, right?, but I'm not
so sure about transistors, if, say, the volume were accidentally
turned high. (No I didn't do that, but I was wondering how much
effort I should expend just so I can turn the set on and measure some
voltages.)

With transistor amplifiers, they are all some form of emitter-followers
(common-collector) and they can run safely with no output load.

Tube amplifiers can produce voltage spikes when unloaded.

So it looks like I almost had it backwards, and tube amps need more
care about running without speakers. But iireadc, transistor amps can
also have problems under some circumstances. So I will keep to my
cautious ways at all times, unless there is an overwhelming reason not
to.

Thanks to everyone. (I still have to finish reading thios thread
too!)

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:

So it looks like I almost had it backwards, and tube amps need more
care about running without speakers. But iireadc, transistor amps can
also have problems under some circumstances. So I will keep to my
cautious ways at all times, unless there is an overwhelming reason not
to.

A tr audio amp isn't going to have a problem with no speaker load,
ever. And thats regardless of whether its low z output, as nearly all
are, or current drive, as a very few are.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:
Is it dangerous to the output transistors or something to run a radio
without speakers?

Why the **** would you want to run a radio without speakers?

What if the volume control is kept at the minimum?

What if you use a condom when you **** Magic Johnson?

This wouldn't be a problem with a tube set iiuc, right?,

If you want to watch something glow then turn on a toaster, or better
yet, get a ****ing life.

but I'm not so sure about transistors, if, say, the volume were accidentally
turned high. (No I didn't do that, but I was wondering how much
effort I should expend just so I can turn the set on and measure some
voltages.)

There are no speakers connected so you shouldn't have to worry about
your hearing.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Why would I want to email somebody who tries to listen to the radio
without any speakers connected?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Malissa Baldwin wrote:

mm wrote:
Is it dangerous to the output transistors or something to run a radio
without speakers?

Why the **** would you want to run a radio without speakers?

Simple:
a) Take load from the rest of the system to check for instability in the PSU
b) Maybe a Radio has tons of other functions that are desireable (RDS et.
al. )
c) maybe the speakers are in one part of the chassis, the electronics in the
other, and for maintenance you got to open it?

What if the volume control is kept at the minimum?

What if you use a condom when you **** Magic Johnson?

Simple, too:
You won't get Aids or any other funny disease.

This wouldn't be a problem with a tube set iiuc, right?,

If you want to watch something glow then turn on a toaster, or better
yet, get a ****ing life.

Best stuff to look at glowing is either sunrise or sundown, or the coal in a
grill whilst doing barbecue-grilling.

but I'm not so sure about transistors, if, say, the volume were
accidentally
turned high. (No I didn't do that, but I was wondering how much
effort I should expend just so I can turn the set on and measure some
voltages.)

There are no speakers connected so you shouldn't have to worry about
your hearing.

Unless he's an extraterrestrial he cannot hear electronic signals inside
some circuits, but he might be toasting the transistors depending on the
design. And that would

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Why would I want to email somebody who tries to listen to the radio
without any speakers connected?

Oh my - why I am trying to explain obvious things to a fern that
accidentally dropped on it's users keyboard?
Oh, no. Was preteen-schoolkid on daddy's computer, right?

Malissa: Plonk
--
Sincerely

Ruediger

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday 28 December 2006 10:49, Rüdiger wrote:

Oh my - why I am trying to explain obvious things to a fern that
accidentally dropped on it's users keyboard?
Oh, no. Was preteen-schoolkid on daddy's computer, right?

Malissa: Plonk

Best way to treat people like this, it to give em the silent treatment,
otherwise they'll come back for more. So, no more replies on this
sub-thread

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Why would I want to email somebody who tries to listen to the radio
without any speakers connected?

Why do you keep posting useless posts? Quit Trolling and go away.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Why would I want to email somebody who tries to listen to the radio
without any speakers connected?

Why do you keep posting useless posts? Quit Trolling and go away.

dont treed the folls.

NT

Speakers bodger UK diy 38 December 14th 06 01:51 PM
Car radio static...AM w/key on or running [email protected] Electronics Repair 17 September 20th 05 06:16 PM
Refinishing Speakers DMKinPA Woodworking 3 May 1st 05 01:53 PM
how do i turn off the tv speakers Mike G. Electronics Repair 2 January 18th 04 06:42 AM