Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default nomad 425sxl

I am using the subject laptop to read temperatures out of a cistern
and to control the temperature (eventurally). My access to the innerds
of the computer went caput when the floppy quit working. So 2
questions: 1) The floppy looks like it should come out. Anybody have
any suggestions on how. I pulled the little cover off but it beats me
how the drive comes out. 2) I would like to use the 25 pin port
(nominally the printer port) as a connector to an electronic device
like a disk so I can get away from the floppy. Anybody ever seen
anything like this?

George

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If you happen to be runing windows on this maching, you can use direct cable
connection to connect two computers with a null-modem cable with the serial
ports or the LPT printer ports.

Example
http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahcj.html

- Mike

"george" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am using the subject laptop to read temperatures out of a cistern
and to control the temperature (eventurally). My access to the innerds
of the computer went caput when the floppy quit working. So 2
questions: 1) The floppy looks like it should come out. Anybody have
any suggestions on how. I pulled the little cover off but it beats me
how the drive comes out. 2) I would like to use the 25 pin port
(nominally the printer port) as a connector to an electronic device
like a disk so I can get away from the floppy. Anybody ever seen
anything like this?

George

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael

Great idea. Unfortunately the nomad has windows3.1 on it so no joy
there. Thanks.

George

Michael Kennedy wrote:
If you happen to be runing windows on this maching, you can use direct cable
connection to connect two computers with a null-modem cable with the serial
ports or the LPT printer ports.

Example
http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahcj.html

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael

Second appreciation. After your hint on direct connections I found
interlnk and intersvr in dos that allows parallel port connections with
laplink cables. Going to get the cable off of ebay. It does appear
that the parallel port cable (laplink) is not the same as the null
modem that is used on serial connections.

George

Michael Kennedy wrote:
If you happen to be runing windows on this maching, you can use direct cable
connection to connect two computers with a null-modem cable with the serial
ports or the LPT printer ports.

Example
http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahcj.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Oh yeah I forgot all about interlnk, that brings back some memories. That
should work for you without too many problems if your good at using dos.

I guess that they have a different name for a null modem parallel cable, but
the concept is just the same as with a serial cable. What is different about
the null modem cable from a regular cable is that the pins are not connected
to the same wires on each end.. For instance pin 1 on one end might be
connected to pin 5 on the other end. This is so that the TX (send) pair goes
to a RX (recieve) pair on the other end just like with a twisted pair
ethernet cable.

- Mike

ps.com...