Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Guide for Buying Flat Screen TV?

My ten-year-old television's display is mighty snowy much of
the time (when receiving local channels), until I give it a
good whack and I guess cause some connections to work
properly again. It's humongous and so hard to move by
myself. I am getting old and do not want to have to move it.
Rather than try to repair it, I am thinking of buying a new,
lighter, flat screen TV. I have been keeping an eye peeled
for specials at Circuit City, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart. I
looked at the latest Consumer Reports article on the
subject.

Yesterday at Best Buy a clerk there said buying any of the
flat screen TVs meant I would have HDTV. Without cable or
satellite with HD, the display would have black vertical
bars covering something like three inches on both sides. If
I wanted to continue using an ordinary antenna, I'd have to
go to a conventional TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Can someone please confirm or deny what the clerk said and
maybe elaborate? Meanwhile I am googling on the subject.

I do not want cable or satellite or any extra costs. OTOH, I
also do not want a huge television to move around.

TIA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Elle wrote:

Yesterday at Best Buy a clerk there said buying any of the
flat screen TVs meant I would have HDTV. Without cable or
satellite with HD, the display would have black vertical
bars covering something like three inches on both sides. If
I wanted to continue using an ordinary antenna, I'd have to
go to a conventional TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Can someone please confirm or deny what the clerk said and
maybe elaborate? Meanwhile I am googling on the subject.

I think it depends on the screen size. I was in Best Buy last night. In
the 19-20" screen size, you can still find an LCD SDTV in the 4:3
aspect ratio. They had one on sale for something like $220. We're
looking for something to put on the wall of a very small bedroom in our
cabin - complicating factor is that we want it with built-in DVD
player, those things are still kind of rare and expensive.

Jerry

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Elle" wrote in message
ink.net...
My ten-year-old television's display is mighty snowy much of the time
(when receiving local channels), until I give it a good whack and I guess
cause some connections to work properly again.

Stop whacking it and undo and then redo the antenna connections.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Elle wrote:
[...]

so you're going to ditch an otherwise usable Tv for want of a bit of
resoldering on the tuner?? sounds wasteful to me. why don't you just
fix it? or get a tech on the case?
besides, when fixed up well it will probably outlive any of the crap on
sale today, to say nothign of the sharper picture CRT gives over plasma
and LCD smear-o-vision.

I'd give it a second chance if I were you!
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Elle" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for all the suggestions, Jerry, RFI Guy, Charles, B,
and T Shadow. I'll keep studying and exploring this.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't know how close you are to your local TV transmitters, but I found I
can get a beautiful, clear HD picture from all three area network stations
on an old pair of UHF rabbit ears. I don't know how well that would work on
a VHF signal.

"Elle" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks for all the suggestions, Jerry, RFI Guy, Charles, B, and T Shadow.
I'll keep studying and exploring this.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Elle wrote:

[...]

go by the philips 32mf231d/37 and when you get is set up the aspect to
automatice.. and if your using an antenna youe will recieve your local
chanels in HD you will love that set..I work on those at a bb service
center and go crazy every time i see the picture it is unblieveable

Free Flat Screen TV Fried Allahtime Electronics Repair 4 February 1st 05 12:24 AM
Flat Screen tv lifts dwolf Woodworking 4 January 25th 05 10:14 PM
Buying flat with recent building works................Nightmare or go for it?? ZZ2880 UK diy 3 May 28th 04 11:10 AM
Building Warrants - Buying Flat Without L Reid UK diy 6 July 16th 03 03:54 PM