Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default power surge blew fuse in stereo

Hi, a power surge blew a fuse (2A/250V) in my shelf stereo system (JVC
MX-J10). I replaced it, but as soon as I plug in power, it blows out
immediately. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks in advance!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

there's nothing you can do that won't make it worse and more costly to have
repaired.

LOL! Is this a typo or are you saying if he does anything it will make it
more expensive to repair. Thats proably true, but funny.

"James Sweet" wrote in message
wrote:
Hi, a power surge blew a fuse (2A/250V) in my shelf stereo system (JVC
MX-J10). I replaced it, but as soon as I plug in power, it blows out
immediately. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks in advance!

It may not have had anything to do with a surge. Obviously one or more
components are shorted, it shouldn't be too hard for an experienced tech
to fix but if you have some experience troubleshooting electronics, a
multimeter and soldering equipment, there's nothing you can do that won't
make it worse and more costly to have repaired.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:
there's nothing you can do that won't make it worse and more costly to have
repaired.

LOL! Is this a typo or are you saying if he does anything it will make it
more expensive to repair. Thats proably true, but funny.

Yes, if he does anything while not knowing what he's doing, it's very
likely to do nothing but damage it further. I've seen it more times than
I can count.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The most common cause is a failure in the output stage. The failure is
usually the power output devices, their respective drivers, and sometimes
their support components.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, a power surge blew a fuse (2A/250V) in my shelf stereo system (JVC
MX-J10). I replaced it, but as soon as I plug in power, it blows out
immediately. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks in advance!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, a power surge blew a fuse (2A/250V) in my shelf stereo system (JVC
MX-J10). I replaced it, but as soon as I plug in power, it blows out
immediately. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks in advance!

Is this the line power input fuse ? In what way does it blow - with a soft
blue flash or violently with a bright white flash and total vapourisation of
the fuse wire ( inside of glass blackened ) ?

Are you replacing with the correct fuse type - almost certainly " T " rated
?

I see many HiFi's with a blown fuse after some kind of power surge - often
due to power interuptions when there's storms about, and I actually find it
quite rare on modern equipment for there to be any issue other than the
fuse. That's not to say, of course, that surges are nothing to do with your
problem, and it has plain and simple just gone wrong.

Arfa