Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Determining correct AC/DC adapter for equipment

My new family owns a large selection of light toys collected over the
years. Unfortunately, in many cases the adapter is missing. Now, we
also a cache of old adapaters of varying voltages, ampages (is that a
word?) and polarities - AC/DC and AC/AC. Without the benefit of manuals
and, in some cases, no information on the toy casing either, I have had
a few mishaps blindly attempting to match up adapters to toys (mishaps
involving the smell of burning component).
My question is, in the absence of the usual information (or a
multi-tester), is there a way to determine what adapter is required for
a particular toy/appliance? Maybe opening up the toy and calculating
something from the components used inside?
In hope
Dean

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1 Dec 2006 16:24:02 -0800, wrote:

:My new family owns a large selection of light toys collected over the
:years. Unfortunately, in many cases the adapter is missing. Now, we
:also a cache of old adapaters of varying voltages, ampages (is that a
:word?) and polarities - AC/DC and AC/AC. Without the benefit of manuals
:and, in some cases, no information on the toy casing either, I have had
:a few mishaps blindly attempting to match up adapters to toys (mishaps
:involving the smell of burning component).
:My question is, in the absence of the usual information (or a
:multi-tester), is there a way to determine what adapter is required for
:a particular toy/appliance? Maybe opening up the toy and calculating
:something from the components used inside?
:In hope
ean

Usually the device has on it the power requirements, for example:

3v DC, 1.25 amp. In general you want your AC adaptor to provide the
correct type of voltage (AC vs. DC, and they are usually DC), the
correct voltage (if it says 4.5v for example, you want your adapter so
designated), and at least the amperage (that's the word!) asked for. I
too have a good collection of adapters gotten from here and there.

Another thing you usually need is for the connector to match up. Has to
be basically the same thickness and reasonable length to make the
connections.

I have one or two multipurpose AC adapters with switches to change the
voltage and with multiple connectors to fit various equipment. They
don't work with everything, but do fit a whole lot of stuff. Of course,
they are kind of klunky (big), but they work. You can get them at Radio
Shack, independent electronics stores and such.

Dan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

My new family owns a large selection of light toys collected over the
years. Unfortunately, in many cases the adapter is missing. Now, we
also a cache of old adapaters of varying voltages, ampages (is that a
word?) and polarities - AC/DC and AC/AC. Without the benefit of manuals
and, in some cases, no information on the toy casing either, I have had
a few mishaps blindly attempting to match up adapters to toys (mishaps
involving the smell of burning component).
My question is, in the absence of the usual information (or a
multi-tester), is there a way to determine what adapter is required for
a particular toy/appliance? Maybe opening up the toy and calculating
something from the components used inside?

If all else fails, I hook up a multi voltage unit and check the current
being drawn. I set the polarity for maximum current, then increase the
voltage to either a reasonable current if charging a battery or until the
device works.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for the reply, Dan. Unfortunately, my problem is that on so
many of the devices that require adaptors there isn't even the basic
voltage information indicated near the adaptor socket, or anywhere
else. Is there a way I can determine a device's power requirements -
voltage and amperage - just by examining the components inside? Or do I
need equipment like a multi-tester or some such?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article . com,
wrote:
Many thanks for the reply, Dan. Unfortunately, my problem is that on so
many of the devices that require adaptors there isn't even the basic
voltage information indicated near the adaptor socket, or anywhere
else. Is there a way I can determine a device's power requirements -
voltage and amperage - just by examining the components inside? Or do I
need equipment like a multi-tester or some such?

The current the device draws can be determined after setting the voltage.
So if you have say a 1 amp supply with variable voltage that should work
for most things. Start at the lowest voltage and work up until it operates
normally. Capacitors are one easy way to determine polarity. A DC supply
can be used where the original was AC in many cases, but not the other way
round.

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article om,
wrote:
Junk the ac output adaptors, because dc output wll work for pretty much
all devices, including those dedigned to take ac, whereas ac will
damage many.

AC adaptors are handy for home build projects. They tend to be higher
output, like for like. So send any junked ones here. ;-)

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article om,
wrote:
Junk the ac output adaptors, because dc output wll work for pretty much
all devices, including those dedigned to take ac, whereas ac will
damage many.

AC adaptors are handy for home build projects. They tend to be higher
output, like for like. So send any junked ones here. ;-)

I have a large bin full of them. I'd let you have half, just to thin
the herd, so to speak.

Alas, they're too heavy to ship economically....

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jakdedert" wrote in message

I have a large bin full of them. I'd let you have half, just to thin the
herd, so to speak.

Alas, they're too heavy to ship economically....

Flat rate envelope?

Sell:Brass Male Adapter,Swivel Female Adapter,Flare Adapter,Tee,Connector,Barbed Tee,Elbow, valvetom Home Repair 0 November 27th 06 05:50 PM
Rock drilling tools--DTH hammer and bit, open pit, surface, underground ming, quarrying, tunnelling equipment, drill rod, drag bit, taper rod,taper bit, water well drilling, button bit, thread bit, shank adapter for rock drills, drill tube, drill pip [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 13th 06 09:50 AM
determining beam size John Home Repair 2 May 28th 05 02:42 PM
Determining Shower KW Charles Middleton UK diy 15 September 12th 04 09:20 PM
Need help determining capacitor value [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 December 28th 03 05:38 PM