Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Determining correct AC/DC adapter for equipment

In article . com,
wrote:
Many thanks for the reply, Dan. Unfortunately, my problem is that on so
many of the devices that require adaptors there isn't even the basic
voltage information indicated near the adaptor socket, or anywhere
else. Is there a way I can determine a device's power requirements -
voltage and amperage - just by examining the components inside? Or do I
need equipment like a multi-tester or some such?

The current the device draws can be determined after setting the voltage.
So if you have say a 1 amp supply with variable voltage that should work
for most things. Start at the lowest voltage and work up until it operates
normally. Capacitors are one easy way to determine polarity. A DC supply
can be used where the original was AC in many cases, but not the other way
round.

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.