Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default cap replacement newbie

Do you discharge a capacitor before you desolder it to remove/replace
it? I would like to discharge a 1.5uf 250 volt AC capacitor. Which
resistor should I use? Which method is safest screwdriver or resistor?
Thanks

Rusty

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Rusty" wrote in message
oups.com...

Do you discharge a capacitor before you desolder it to remove/replace
it? I would like to discharge a 1.5uf 250 volt AC capacitor. Which
resistor should I use? Which method is safest screwdriver or resistor?

10 K or similar. Leave it connected for a while.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rusty wrote:
Do you discharge a capacitor before you desolder it to remove/replace
it? I would like to discharge a 1.5uf 250 volt AC capacitor. Which
resistor should I use? Which method is safest screwdriver or resistor?
Thanks

Rusty

Most capacitors tend to discharge into the circiut. If you are that
worried, short the cap with a screwdriver, remove and replace it and
you should be good. You should only repair unpliged equipment first of
all and you should have let it sit for awhile.

Adam Kb2Jpd

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rusty wrote:
Do you discharge a capacitor before you desolder it to remove/replace
it? I would like to discharge a 1.5uf 250 volt AC capacitor. Which
resistor should I use? Which method is safest screwdriver or resistor?
Thanks

Rusty

I don't usually bother. If the device has been powered recently I short
across small caps with a screwdriver.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rusty wrote:

Do you discharge a capacitor before you desolder it to remove/replace
it? I would like to discharge a 1.5uf 250 volt AC capacitor. Which
resistor should I use? Which method is safest screwdriver or resistor?
Thanks

Rusty

any low r reistor will do fine. As long as its R is an order of
magnitude above the cap's internal R it wont cause it any harm. So a
few ohms is fine, as is 10 or 100 ohms.

Shorting with screwdriver usually works ok, but can produce failures on
occasion.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

thank you so much for your help.