Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default fuse

Thanks for the info. So I take it the voltage stamped on the fuse doesn't
change the amp rating. How about if the fuse has 32 volts stamped on it?
Would it still be a 3 amp fuse in a 125 volt circuit?

Thanks, Jim

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim wrote:
Thanks for the info. So I take it the voltage stamped on the fuse doesn't
change the amp rating. How about if the fuse has 32 volts stamped on it?
Would it still be a 3 amp fuse in a 125 volt circuit?

Thanks, Jim

It could very well be an infinite (within reason) amp fuse in a 125V
circuit. The voltage rating is the maximum that the fuse is rated to
safely interrupt without striking an arc. You can always use a higher
voltage rated fuse but never lower.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim" wrote in message

Thanks for the info. So I take it the voltage stamped on the fuse doesn't
change the amp rating. How about if the fuse has 32 volts stamped on it?
Would it still be a 3 amp fuse in a 125 volt circuit?

Nope. It would be a serious risk for fire and personal injury.

3 Amps is a max rating. 250 Volts is a max rating. They don't interact.

Read these as Do Not Exceed 3 Amps or 250 Volts.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"Jim" wrote in news:gzy7h.1146$Kw2.730@trndny05:

Thanks for the info. So I take it the voltage stamped on the fuse doesn't
change the amp rating. How about if the fuse has 32 volts stamped on it?
Would it still be a 3 amp fuse in a 125 volt circuit?

NO!

The voltage rating gives the maximum voltage that can be safely interrupt.

If the circuit carries higher voltage, a sustained arc might occur, rather
than the fuse quickly interrupting the current flow. This could be dangerous.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim wrote:

Thanks for the info. So I take it the voltage stamped on the fuse doesn't
change the amp rating. How about if the fuse has 32 volts stamped on it?
Would it still be a 3 amp fuse in a 125 volt circuit?

Thanks, Jim

It would still be a 3A fuse on 125v, but not a properly safe fuse, due
to the risk of arcover under fault current conditions. 32v fuses will
also generally have much lower max fault current ratings, so again it
might be unable to break the fault current, under some circumstances,
for 2 reasons. In most cases though it would function as expected.

NT