Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Zenith D60WLCD blue fog

hi all,

i inherited an awesome 60 inch tv from a rich friend!! only problem is
the bottom right corner (split the screen into 4 pieces, the bottom
right piece) is BLUE. If you look closely at it, it kind of
"wavers"/"flickers" around the edges (but the blue is constant for the
most part).

the guy replaced the lamp already, thinking that was the problem. so i
have a new lamp in the tv too! i talked to another guy and he said one
guy had a big screen tv and replaced the "computer chip" and it fixed
the problem for like $150. i tried looking for zenith parts but i
couldn't find any computer chip...

should i just call the zenith service center? if someone has had this
problem before, would be nice to suggest it to the service man at
least...

i figure if i can get by paying less than $500 i'm in great shape.
what do you guys think?

kyle

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

kyle wrote:
[...]

Any Integrated circuit can be called a computer chip. Your TV has
dozens of them in all the different circuits.
If you don't know TV repair, your best bet is to have it serviced by a pro.
It could be as simple as a problem with the optics to as complex as a
major digital signal problem.
Get an estimate.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

These things have a problem with burning up the blue polarizing filter
due to the heat of the lamp.

Are you anywhere near Ohio ? If so, since your's works somewhat I can
determine the orientation of the filter and not only fix your's, but
mine as well, and another a guy has a 52" of the same thing.

Unfortunately another tech completely removed the filter from this one
here and I don't want to go through trial and error, it is simply too
damn hard to disassemble.

Another thing I'd like to know is if the polarized light is still
polarized once it exits the lens, if so the orientation could possibly
be determined that way. If I got my hands on one of these $5,000 sets
that has not been gotten into I might be able to save a few of them.

The manufacturer (who knows who these days) wants you to replace the
light engine for about $2,000, I think it is ridiculous for a $4 piece
of plastic. They like the situation and would love to get another
$5,000 for a new set.

And LCD projector is a poor investment, a DLP would be better, but then
anything that shines the light full blast all the time and just
deflects or reflects it to make black is a loser design. If plasmas
didn't burn out so fast they would be a good alternative, but only up
to a certain screen size. Today, CRT based projos are the way to go, if
you can find one for cheap enough.

I have nothing against LCD TVs and monitors, the inefficiency is alot
less, but anything is going to burn up when you put a high power light
bulb right up to it. Even my boss'es DLP projector warped the case so
bad the color wheel couldn't turn. If it ain't one thing it's another.

Thinking strictly of business, it's a damn shame they are widescreens,
otherwise we could scrap them and sell the screen. It is all they're
worth unless they can be fixed, and mine has sat there for almost a
year looking for a fix. I am VERY experienced in this field, and
understand how it works and what must be done, yet it sits there for a
year, why ? Because it takes two people and a whole day to R & R
components in the light engine. Let me give you a business translation,
well over $100 an hour ALL DAY on one set. So it sits until I have a
viable solution with reasonable assuredness of working.

These pieces of **** are an engineering triumph, you can't even really
use the stand. And the stand was like $400 ! So there it sits.

JURB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

These pieces of **** are an engineering triumph, you can't even really
use the stand. And the stand was like $400 ! So there it sits.

My buddy needed a new TV, and wanted a large screen. I talked him into a
large screen CRT set - took two guys to get it into the house! However I
expect him to get a reasonable life out of it and not to have to toss it in
3 years.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JURB,

If the repair guy gives me a $2K estimate maybe I'll fly you down to
Tampa for a weekend ;o)

wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ohh PS- as last night was our first real long usage (+4hrs) of the
beast, it started to get worse! It is now taking up a considerable
more bottom right portion than when we first turned it on, verified it
was working / hooked up correctly to DVR, then turned it off...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

These pieces of **** are an engineering triumph, you can't even really
use the stand. And the stand was like $400 ! So there it sits.

My buddy needed a new TV, and wanted a large screen. I talked him into a
large screen CRT set - took two guys to get it into the house! However I
expect him to get a reasonable life out of it and not to have to toss it in
3 years.

I really like CRT projection sets, however they are really fragile in
regards to screen burn, and I have to get into service mode and do an
optical alignment whenever mine has been moved.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

kyle wrote:
Ohh PS- as last night was our first real long usage (+4hrs) of the
beast, it started to get worse! It is now taking up a considerable
more bottom right portion than when we first turned it on, verified it
was working / hooked up correctly to DVR, then turned it off...

That's expected, once it starts to burn, it darkens and absorbs light
which burns it faster.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James,

When you say "once IT starts to burn" .. what is IT? The blue filter?
What exactly?

I have a service guy coming out wednesday.. charging me $60 trip fee,
then $175 labor + parts.. ouch! I throw the tv away at $750 all
inclusive.. who knows what else might go wrong with it :P

James Sweet wrote:
kyle wrote:
Ohh PS- as last night was our first real long usage (+4hrs) of the
beast, it started to get worse! It is now taking up a considerable
more bottom right portion than when we first turned it on, verified it
was working / hooked up correctly to DVR, then turned it off...

That's expected, once it starts to burn, it darkens and absorbs light
which burns it faster.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

kyle wrote:
James,

When you say "once IT starts to burn" .. what is IT? The blue filter?
What exactly?

I have a service guy coming out wednesday.. charging me $60 trip fee,
then $175 labor + parts.. ouch! I throw the tv away at $750 all
inclusive.. who knows what else might go wrong with it :P

Polarizing filter. $175 sounds pretty reasonable, it's not an easy job
to tear apart the light engine, at least parts are apparently available,
for many LCD and DLP sets they weren't.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Did you have any luck with the technician, or did you get the "light
engine" for $2000.00 reply? I have "inherited" a set from a neighbor
with the same problem and I am looking for an alternative repair than
the light engine. Any reply will be appreciated!

--
killnme
killnme's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=249

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in