Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Magnavox VCR revisited - strange tuner problem

Peabody wrote:
A while back the power supply blew on my Magnavox VR1841 VCR, and
thanks to a lot of help here I was able to get the parts and fix it.
All the bad parts were on the primary side of the transformer, and
after the repair everything appeared to work fine.

It still does, with one exception. I guess I didn't check operation
on higher channels after the repair, and it turns out that the unit
just won't receive much of anything above channel 17. The lower
channels work fine, but above channel 11 or so, they take longer to
"lock in", and by 18 or 19 I just get the blue screen. If I set it
to channel 41 and start it recording, it just records snow - no hint
of a signal.

So it looks like when the power supply went, it took something with
it related to the tuner, even though it seems kind of odd that it
works on the lower channels but not the upper ones.

Is this at all likely to be fixable? Any suggestions for where to
look, and what to look for?

Thanks

Saw that your tuner problem was the TV / CATV option.

Glad you got that one going.

Mark Z.