Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.tech.misc

Default Sony KV-25F1U Fault - Any Suggestions?

Hi.

My 25" Sony TV (KV-25F1U), which is just over 8.5 years old, has suddenly
developed a fault. It was fine yesterday, but when I tried to switch it
on using the remote control today, it did not respond. The red power LED
on the front, near the power button, was blinking as follows: Two blinks
separated by about a second, then several seconds off, then 2 blinks again,
etc.. Presumably this code means something specific, as it does not usually
blink like that.

If I turn off the TV using the power button I just mentioned, then wait long
enough for the power to drain away that the LED stops blinking, then turn it
back on, it seems ok for a short time: There is sound as usual, then the CRT
warms up and there is a picture for about half a second, then the TV shuts
down completely. The picture disappears, the whole CRT circuitry powers down,
because I can hear that kind of fizzing noise you get when the HT powers up
or down. The sound stops, and then this LED starts blinking twice at me every
few seconds. Then nothing at all will make it do anything, except bouncing
the power as described above.

Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone know what the two-blink message means?

I'd have thought that it can't be that ****ed, because as I say, it does
generate picture and sound for a short time before it shuts down.

Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions - short of just "take it
to a repairer!", of course!

Martin
--
M.A.Poyser Tel.: 07967 110890
Manchester, U.K. http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=fleetie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.tech.misc

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:35:08 +0100, "Fleetie"
somehow managed to impart:

[snip]

If I turn off the TV using the power button I just mentioned, then wait long
enough for the power to drain away that the LED stops blinking, then turn it
back on, it seems ok for a short time

[snip]
To avoid waiting, unplug the mains and press the on-button. This
should discharge the electrolytic capacitors.

I'd have thought that it can't be that ****ed, because as I say, it does
generate picture and sound for a short time before it shuts down.

Sounds like a cracked solder joint to me. First thing I would do is
examine the solder side of the circuit boards using a jeweller's
eyeglass under a good light. Components with thicker wires, e.g.
transformers, high-current diodes are the prime suspects.

Hot components can crystallise the solder which then cracks. Arcing
may cause a black ring around the defective joints. The biggest
problem may be getting access to the main PCB. Perhaps lay the TV on
its screen on a soft surface and prop the board up for access.

Any suspect joints should be soldered with a soldering iron or gun
with sufficient wattage for the job.

Take care!

regards Dave.
http://www.henniker.org.uk 3000 photos especially
Edinburgh & Scotland. + 3D rendered art, old ads etc
but no other ads... * délété david to email me *