Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony VX2100 won't auto focus-how is it supposed to work?

I have a Sony VX2100 that had the lens broken off the front. It ripped
part of the ribbon cable going into the front lens. The part that has
the manual focus and zoom rings and image stabilization stuff. It only
actually ripped two wire runs that went to the manual focus ring. I've
repaired that and also repaired the plastic housing that secured the
lens to the camera. Everything works fine on the camera but the
autofocus doesn't work at all. I can use the manual focus ring which
just sends a signal to the focus motor and I can focus it fine that
way. Also, when i put the focus switch to infinity the camera just goes
completely blurry and also if I power it off and on again it starts up
blurry and I have to re-focus it. Does anyone know how the autofocus
works on these cameras? I"m also having trouble driving the zoom lens
but that is a mechanical problem I'm working out. The zoom motor
responds to the controls but I'm trying to repair the linkage to it. I
don't believe this has anything to do with my problem but I'm open to
all ideas at this point. A good understanding of how the autofocus is
supposed to work would help me troubleshoot it.