Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Viewsonic PF790 missing red

On 21 Aug 2006 13:46:12 -0700, "Mughoj" wrote:

Hi,

My wife's monitor lost the red color entirely the other day. The
monitor has been working fine with no visible signs of ageing. The
picture is still very sharp and bright, but red went away in an
instant, while she was using the computer.

So i'm wondering, if anyone has a qualified guess, what most likely
have popped. If anyone know of a good guide to monitor
troubleshooting/repair i'm interested as well. I have googled a great
deal for this, but haven't found what i'm looking for.

I'm not entirely sure i can fix this (even with a little help), but it
can't hurt trying (50.000V don't hurt, does it :P). Besides, my wife is
constantly gapping about how bad her substitute monitor is, so i'm
desperate

Mugge

There were a few Viewsonic monitors that had problems with the video
output IC failing and causing them to lose a color. The IC in these
monitors was expensive and in short supply (I think they were around
$100).
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Andy Cuffe wrote:
[...]

Perhaps going back to basics first, it may be that you've even checked
this already, but i've seen this happen in a few monitors in my time if
one of the pins in the svga cable gets bent, broken, or if the cable
just fell out a little bit. I remember one time a friend of mine who
shall remain anonymous phoned up panicing because he had quite the
opposite - his screen went all red and he thought it had gone into
satanic mode!?! turns out the cable had just fallen partially out.

The pin for red video is pin 1, googling returns this site :
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_SVGA_PinOuts.html

which has a nice pin out of the svga lead.

Mark

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark Fortune wrote:
Andy Cuffe wrote:
[...]

heh. Its a poor connection at the 15 pin D plug 8 or 9 times out of 10.
If its not that it could be anywhere in the system, monitor, lead, or
less often video card. Fortunately red is the least needed of all the
colours

NT