Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default security devices on vending machines

Workin in an upscale hotel but the issue is at most in my city. They break
in to the vending machines and remove money etc. Anyone have a foolproof
system for warning us or setting off an alarm to warn us of the breakin?
Video camera are in place but only as good as person sitting and watching
the all night. Spray paint and or a little something to blur images are all
it takes. Once in place they must be moved so maybe a motin sensor on the
machines?? Any help appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The video camera should be connected to a time laps tape recorder. This is
the way we do security systems. Then the tape can be reviewed to see who was
there. The cameras should be well hidden, so that the person does not know
that he is being watched.

It is possible to put an alarm system on the vending machine. It would have
to employ a properly set up vibration sensor.

If you are loosing money from vending machines and having damage to them, it
may be a cost savings for you to have proper security installed.

There are new vending machines that have been coming out, that only take
credit cards and bank cards. This way, there is no cash to take.

--

JANA
_____

"bob kater" wrote in message
. com...
Workin in an upscale hotel but the issue is at most in my city. They break
in to the vending machines and remove money etc. Anyone have a foolproof
system for warning us or setting off an alarm to warn us of the breakin?
Video camera are in place but only as good as person sitting and watching
the all night. Spray paint and or a little something to blur images are all
it takes. Once in place they must be moved so maybe a motin sensor on the
machines?? Any help appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

About the vib. sensor, what if someone shakes it to try and dislodge a
soda or other product that got stuck on its way to the chute? Or
someone accidentally hits the machine? You don't want to have to have
someone get up to turn off the vending machine alarm all the time.

Also, what if someone simply unplugged it first? Is there a battery?

It seems from the above that getting proper security seems sensible.
JANA wrote:
The video camera should be connected to a time laps tape recorder. This is
the way we do security systems. Then the tape can be reviewed to see who was
there. The cameras should be well hidden, so that the person does not know
that he is being watched.

It is possible to put an alarm system on the vending machine. It would have
to employ a properly set up vibration sensor.

If you are loosing money from vending machines and having damage to them, it
may be a cost savings for you to have proper security installed.

There are new vending machines that have been coming out, that only take
credit cards and bank cards. This way, there is no cash to take.

--

JANA
_____

"bob kater" wrote in message
. com...
Workin in an upscale hotel but the issue is at most in my city. They break
in to the vending machines and remove money etc. Anyone have a foolproof
system for warning us or setting off an alarm to warn us of the breakin?
Video camera are in place but only as good as person sitting and watching
the all night. Spray paint and or a little something to blur images are all
it takes. Once in place they must be moved so maybe a motin sensor on the
machines?? Any help appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

Anyone have a foolproof system for warning us or setting off
an alarm to warn us of the breakin?

Nothing is going to be foolproof. If someone wants to steal from the vending
machine, they will do so.

That said, I'd think a few things might help...good lighting in the area
where the machines are might do more than you'd think for security. Moving
them to a frequently occupied area might also produce an improvement...it's
simply harder for a thief to work at compromising the machine in good
lighting and with a crowd present.

If that's not enough, have you considered restricting access to the machines
in some way? An iron bar cage around them with openings only big enough to
work the machine and retrieve the product it vends might work. This could
have a gate that opens and is heavily protected, or it might open from the
back via a more conventional locked door. I've seen this done before with
vending machines in public areas, and the formation of the bars can be
decorative while remaining functional.

On the electronic protection front, a magnetic action or reed switch could
be used to sound an alarm when the machine is forced open. Of course, one
would have to turn the alarm off before filling the machine, but that's
likely with any alarm solution.

As far as your camera problem, putting the camera out of reach or where it
can't be easily seen might help...if it's possible to do this. There are
cameras available that look like everyday objects, such as smoke alarms or
ceiling mounted speaker systems. Sometimes the object they're built into is
also functional.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bob kater wrote:

Workin in an upscale hotel but the issue is at most in my city. They break
in to the vending machines and remove money etc. Anyone have a foolproof
system for warning us or setting off an alarm to warn us of the breakin?
Video camera are in place but only as good as person sitting and watching
the all night. Spray paint and or a little something to blur images are all
it takes. Once in place they must be moved so maybe a motin sensor on the
machines?? Any help appreciated.

Just an idea, but I worked on an alarm to monitor TV sets in hotels.
It used a 2200 ohm resistor inside the TV set so that if the line was
disconnected or shorted, it set of an alarm with the room number in the
office. The same would work with an internal door switch inside the
vending machines. The alarm would go off in the office and security
could hurry to the machine and catch the thief in the act. Use a walkie
talkie to tell the office which machine is to be opened so they can mute
that alarm, and then call them again when your done to reset the alarm.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bob kater wrote:
Workin in an upscale hotel but the issue is at most in my city. They break
in to the vending machines and remove money etc. Anyone have a foolproof
system for warning us or setting off an alarm to warn us of the breakin?
Video camera are in place but only as good as person sitting and watching
the all night. Spray paint and or a little something to blur images are all
it takes. Once in place they must be moved so maybe a motin sensor on the
machines?? Any help appreciated.

In Australia the coca-cola vending machines have mobile phone
transmitters. These are expensive, but it even gives usage statitics, etc.

Make the machine really heavy or bolted down and put a tilt switch in
it. It should never tilt even if someone tries to hit it.