Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Is it me or...

I know I'm getting up there in years, but is the writing on semiconductors
getting fainter and fainter? I have to drag everything under the
microscope just to read the markings. Even on DIPs for christ's sake.

WTF - are the chip makers actually saving money by doing this?
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

JW wrote:

I know I'm getting up there in years, but is the writing on semiconductors
getting fainter and fainter? I have to drag everything under the
microscope just to read the markings. Even on DIPs for christ's sake.

You're correct.

WTF - are the chip makers actually saving money by doing this?

Many of them are actually now laser etched rather than printed to help avoid
counterfeiting. It's much less visible.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

JW wrote:
I know I'm getting up there in years, but is the writing on semiconductors
getting fainter and fainter? I have to drag everything under the
microscope just to read the markings. Even on DIPs for christ's sake.

WTF - are the chip makers actually saving money by doing this?

I was told that the marking technique they now use is better for
automated placement equipment that has automated optical scans.

I agree it still sucks - can only read the numbers when you have them
at *just* the right angle, with just the right amount of light, just
the right amount of magnification.

Cheers

PeteS

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

JW wrote:

I know I'm getting up there in years, but is the writing on
semiconductors
getting fainter and fainter? I have to drag everything under the
microscope just to read the markings. Even on DIPs for christ's sake.

You're correct.

WTF - are the chip makers actually saving money by doing this?

Many of them are actually now laser etched rather than printed to help
avoid
counterfeiting. It's much less visible.

Specifically, to prevent people from wiping it off and writing higher
specifications (e.g., industrial vs. commercial temperature, or higher clock
speed), right?

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

mc wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

JW wrote:

I know I'm getting up there in years, but is the writing on
semiconductors
getting fainter and fainter? I have to drag everything under the
microscope just to read the markings. Even on DIPs for christ's sake.

You're correct.

WTF - are the chip makers actually saving money by doing this?

Many of them are actually now laser etched rather than printed to help
avoid counterfeiting. It's much less visible.

Specifically, to prevent people from wiping it off and writing higher
specifications (e.g., industrial vs. commercial temperature, or higher clock
speed), right?

Or just offering counterfeits generally. It's pretty difficult to counterfeit
laser etched marking. Counterfeit semis are a big issue.
http://sound.westhost.com/counterfeit.htm
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&h...uctors&spell=1

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"PeteS" wrote in message
oups.com...
JW wrote:
I know I'm getting up there in years, but is the writing on

semiconductors
getting fainter and fainter? I have to drag everything under the
microscope just to read the markings. Even on DIPs for christ's sake.

WTF - are the chip makers actually saving money by doing this?

I was told that the marking technique they now use is better for
automated placement equipment that has automated optical scans.

I agree it still sucks - can only read the numbers when you have them
at *just* the right angle, with just the right amount of light, just
the right amount of magnification.

Cheers

PeteS

yeah the angle has to be just right, and if its been knocking about in a
parts bin for a while or had a greasy finger on it, ... it seems like theyr
using black lettering sometimes

Colin =^.^=

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"colin" wrote in message
yeah the angle has to be just right, and if its been knocking about in a
parts bin for a while or had a greasy finger on it, ... it seems like
theyr
using black lettering sometimes

Sometimes, a light smear of white heatsink goop makes the letters show up
better. A little. Slightly. Sometimes.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"Tim Williams" wrote in
:

"colin" wrote in message
yeah the angle has to be just right, and if its been knocking about
in a parts bin for a while or had a greasy finger on it, ... it seems
like theyr
using black lettering sometimes

Sometimes, a light smear of white heatsink goop makes the letters show
up better. A little. Slightly. Sometimes.

Tim

Nice trick.

Another is angled light, shortwave, so a bright blue LED. Cowl it so you
can't see any direct light off it. The colour isn't that important, but
brightness is.