Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Is it me or...

mc wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

JW wrote:

I know I'm getting up there in years, but is the writing on
semiconductors
getting fainter and fainter? I have to drag everything under the
microscope just to read the markings. Even on DIPs for christ's sake.

You're correct.

WTF - are the chip makers actually saving money by doing this?

Many of them are actually now laser etched rather than printed to help
avoid counterfeiting. It's much less visible.

Specifically, to prevent people from wiping it off and writing higher
specifications (e.g., industrial vs. commercial temperature, or higher clock
speed), right?

Or just offering counterfeits generally. It's pretty difficult to counterfeit
laser etched marking. Counterfeit semis are a big issue.
http://sound.westhost.com/counterfeit.htm
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&h...uctors&spell=1

Graham