Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP 5501A laser head repair

Does anyone know where I can get an old HP (now Agilent) 5501A laser
head repaired? Tx.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mtsnist" writes:

Does anyone know where I can get an old HP (now Agilent) 5501A laser
head repaired? Tx.

What's wrong with it? If the tube comes on but is weak, only solution
is a new tube and that's most of the cost of the laser head..

I can take a look at it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The power supply seems to be working, but the laser is not lasing. The
laser is part of a metrology microscope in which the laser was left on
almost continuously for the last 4 years. The microscope was recently
moved to a new building at the beginning of the year. It was
reassembled a few weeks ago and at that point the laser would not come
back on.

What would you charge to look at it? Do you want to discuss this
offline?

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"mtsnist" writes:

Does anyone know where I can get an old HP (now Agilent) 5501A laser
head repaired? Tx.

What's wrong with it? If the tube comes on but is weak, only solution
is a new tube and that's most of the cost of the laser head..

I can take a look at it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mtsnist" writes:

The power supply seems to be working, but the laser is not lasing. The
laser is part of a metrology microscope in which the laser was left on
almost continuously for the last 4 years. The microscope was recently
moved to a new building at the beginning of the year. It was
reassembled a few weeks ago and at that point the laser would not come
back on.

I'll be happy to evaluate it but it sounds like you've already
pretty much nailed it. If the power supply is working (the tube lights
up inside) but there is no beam, the tube is almost certainly dead. These
things have a long life, but being left on for years will kill them for
sure.

If the tube is not lighting up inside, then it could still be the power
supply or the tube could be very hard starting.

What would you charge to look at it? Do you want to discuss this
offline?

I have emailed you direct. If that doesn't get through, go to the
feedback form at http://www.repairfaq.org/ and just send me a quick
message.

Thanks.

Laser question David Woodworking 4 November 13th 05 05:29 PM
detect the laser from my laser level? HotRod Home Repair 6 September 23rd 05 04:58 PM
Bridgeport quill to head clearance? Jon Anderson Metalworking 4 March 8th 05 11:29 PM
Adjusting audio head on Pana NV-9100 U-Matic Wild Bill Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 04 01:41 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM