Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default GSM band conversion

Is it possible to replace parts or adjust the circuitry of a GSM cell phone
(850/1900MHz) originally designed for the USA in order for it to be used
overseas where the operating band is 900/1800MHz ?
How prohibitive or complicated could it be for an average electronics
technician?

If it's not a feasible process, are there at least good uses for parts taken
out of the unconvertible phones for use in an almost similar phone model?
(ex. Nokia 3290 parts for Nokia 3210)

Thanks for any information!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Voltes34 wrote:
Is it possible to replace parts or adjust the circuitry of a GSM cell phone
(850/1900MHz) originally designed for the USA in order for it to be used
overseas where the operating band is 900/1800MHz ?
How prohibitive or complicated could it be for an average electronics
technician?

If it's not a feasible process, are there at least good uses for parts taken
out of the unconvertible phones for use in an almost similar phone model?
(ex. Nokia 3290 parts for Nokia 3210)

Thanks for any information!

Anything is possible. With enough surgery, Michael Jackson could be
made to look exactly like Paris Hilton. But that would be very easy
compared with changing a GSM phone into TDMA, CDMA, GPRS, EV-DO, or
UMTS. The frequency differences are almost trivial compared with the
modulation and signal protocol differences. Forget it. It may be
possible to salvage the case or battery for some other project. If
you're really good with a soldering iron, you might get a mic and a
couple of audio transducers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Voltes34" wrote in message
m...
Is it possible to replace parts or adjust the circuitry of a GSM cell
phone
(850/1900MHz) originally designed for the USA in order for it to be used
overseas where the operating band is 900/1800MHz ?
How prohibitive or complicated could it be for an average electronics
technician?

If it's not a feasible process, are there at least good uses for parts
taken
out of the unconvertible phones for use in an almost similar phone model?
(ex. Nokia 3290 parts for Nokia 3210)

Thanks for any information!

Contact your local Cingular store or dealer

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I do not think any conversion is necessary. GSM is meant for Global
communication. I have a Motorola tri-band (v60i) that I bought in USA
and am currently using in India without any modifications.

However, you may want to check for Instrument locking by US service
providers. They have to provide you with instrument unlocking code and
information; otherwise, the local SIM card will not operate in your
instrument.

Had this problem with Cingular and Cingular refused to provide the
information. Had to use Local Motorola service to unlock my instrument.

g. beat wrote:
"Voltes34" wrote in message
m...
Is it possible to replace parts or adjust the circuitry of a GSM cell
phone
(850/1900MHz) originally designed for the USA in order for it to be used
overseas where the operating band is 900/1800MHz ?
How prohibitive or complicated could it be for an average electronics
technician?

If it's not a feasible process, are there at least good uses for parts
taken
out of the unconvertible phones for use in an almost similar phone model?
(ex. Nokia 3290 parts for Nokia 3210)

Thanks for any information!

Contact your local Cingular store or dealer

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ravi wrote:
I do not think any conversion is necessary. GSM is meant for Global
communication. I have a Motorola tri-band (v60i) that I bought in USA
and am currently using in India without any modifications.

However, you may want to check for Instrument locking by US service
providers. They have to provide you with instrument unlocking code and
information; otherwise, the local SIM card will not operate in your
instrument.

Had this problem with Cingular and Cingular refused to provide the
information. Had to use Local Motorola service to unlock my instrument.

Cingular informed me that the only phones in their inventory that
conformed to *worldwide* GSM standards were the Motorola Razers.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

webpa wrote:
Voltes34 wrote:
[...]

The display might be interchangeable. If anyone has an external display
for a Moto' V551, I trashed mine last week. The internal display works
fine and functionality is not affected.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

That could be now.

To be fair to Cingular, I bought the phone instrument in an open
store and not through Cingular inventory. I however, subscribed to
Cingular service because Cingular was the only GSM based service
provider in USA on the west coast. When I left USA, Cingular shied away
from giving me the passcode that unlocks the instrument.

I was specifically looking for tri-band GSM phone at that time. The
store recommended Motorola V60i then. I am still using the same phone
instrument.