Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ravi Ravi is offline

Default GSM band conversion

That could be now.

To be fair to Cingular, I bought the phone instrument in an open
store and not through Cingular inventory. I however, subscribed to
Cingular service because Cingular was the only GSM based service
provider in USA on the west coast. When I left USA, Cingular shied away
from giving me the passcode that unlocks the instrument.

I was specifically looking for tri-band GSM phone at that time. The
store recommended Motorola V60i then. I am still using the same phone
instrument.

jakdedert wrote:
Ravi wrote:
I do not think any conversion is necessary. GSM is meant for Global
communication. I have a Motorola tri-band (v60i) that I bought in USA
and am currently using in India without any modifications.

However, you may want to check for Instrument locking by US service
providers. They have to provide you with instrument unlocking code and
information; otherwise, the local SIM card will not operate in your
instrument.

Had this problem with Cingular and Cingular refused to provide the
information. Had to use Local Motorola service to unlock my instrument.

Cingular informed me that the only phones in their inventory that
conformed to *worldwide* GSM standards were the Motorola Razers.

jak