Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default advice please

I have a AKAI VCR that is slow to fast forward and rewind but plays at right
speed. There is one belt from the capstion motor , is that all its going to
be, I notice under pulley that the belt drives is some kind of clutch as it
can slip, could that be a problem as well or how would I check. I was going
to replace the pinch roller, anything else I should consider ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Fred wrote:
I have a AKAI VCR that is slow to fast forward and rewind but plays at
right speed. There is one belt from the capstion motor , is that all its
going to be, I notice under pulley that the belt drives is some kind of
clutch as it can slip, could that be a problem as well or how would I
check. I was going to replace the pinch roller, anything else I should
consider ?

The pinch roller only works on play and record.

Are you sure there's only one belt?

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/2/06 3:54 PM, in article
, "Fred"
wrote:

(snip)

Buy low, sell high.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Fred" wrote in message
u...
I have a AKAI VCR that is slow to fast forward and rewind but plays at
right
speed. There is one belt from the capstion motor , is that all its going
be, I notice under pulley that the belt drives is some kind of clutch as
it
can slip, could that be a problem as well or how would I check. I was
going
to replace the pinch roller, anything else I should consider ?

There may well be a drive idler that swings between the supply and takeup
reel tables for wind and rewind operations. If so, it probably has a
perished tyre. However, the problem may not be this simple. If it is one of
the VCRs where the tape stays laced up during all functions, you may well
have a friction issue caused by wear on the lower head drum. If this is the
case, you will usually see better wind performance than rewind. This is
because when the player is in wind mode, the tape is travelling in the same
direction as the head is rotating, whereas during a rewind operation, it is
travelling in the opposite direction, and the additional drag from the
rotating head drum, added to the wear friction from the lower drum, is
enough to make the rewind poor or non existent. If head drum wear is the
cause, often cue and review performance will be affected also, with the
review picture being very poor and unstable, compared to the cue picture,
for the same reasons as those detailed above. Hope this helps you with a
correct diagnosis of the problem.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

yes there is only one belt, I'm doing the pinch roller as this set lives in
a wall unit and takes longer to get out than pull apart, any how its only a
few dollars. There is a driver idler but it does not use tyres
depending on ther direction that the capstion motor turn engages either
spindle via cogs but it looks like that back of the main pully is like a
clutch, not sure if these wear. I like the laced up theory
I'll have to carefully power it up and see if it keeps the tape out, so its
only the clutch I'm not sure about, any clues
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I like the laced up theory
I'll have to carefully power it up and see if it keeps the tape out, so
its
only the clutch I'm not sure about, any clues.

You can usually feel physically if there are any clutch issues. If the two
halves of the clutch turn with respect to one another, very easily, then the
clutch needs replacing. A big clue here is that the wind / rewind operations
will usually be a lot poorer when the driven spool has a lot of tape on it.
If you stop the operation towards the end of a cycle, and then try to
restart it, often it won't be able to get going again. However, this symptom
can be exacerbated by the friction problem that I mentioned, in combination
with a slightly below par clutch, which would otherwise work ok.

The worn head drum friction problem really is quite common on machines that
remain laced up, and have done a few year's service. If you try to observe
the operation of the machine with the cover off, you may have to hold your
hand over the centre of the deck to shield the optical tape-end sensor from
overhead light.

Arfa