Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default advice please

"Fred" wrote in message
u...
I have a AKAI VCR that is slow to fast forward and rewind but plays at
right
speed. There is one belt from the capstion motor , is that all its going
be, I notice under pulley that the belt drives is some kind of clutch as
it
can slip, could that be a problem as well or how would I check. I was
going
to replace the pinch roller, anything else I should consider ?

There may well be a drive idler that swings between the supply and takeup
reel tables for wind and rewind operations. If so, it probably has a
perished tyre. However, the problem may not be this simple. If it is one of
the VCRs where the tape stays laced up during all functions, you may well
have a friction issue caused by wear on the lower head drum. If this is the
case, you will usually see better wind performance than rewind. This is
because when the player is in wind mode, the tape is travelling in the same
direction as the head is rotating, whereas during a rewind operation, it is
travelling in the opposite direction, and the additional drag from the
rotating head drum, added to the wear friction from the lower drum, is
enough to make the rewind poor or non existent. If head drum wear is the
cause, often cue and review performance will be affected also, with the
review picture being very poor and unstable, compared to the cue picture,
for the same reasons as those detailed above. Hope this helps you with a
correct diagnosis of the problem.

Arfa