Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Phillips TV, is repair shop ripping me off?

Hi, sorry if this is a really dumb question but my knowledge of
electronics is pretty poor and here seemed like a decent place to ask
the question....

My TV started turn itself off after half an hour or so. This time
period slowly came down to 15 mins, 5 mins, ... 1 second, no seconds.
If I leave it plugged in for a week this time period goes up.

The repair shop owner (who lives near me) came and collected it and
when I explaind the problem said it was the probably transistor, like a
capacitor that wasn't hold it's charge, but would charge up over a
period of time. Although my knowledge of electronics is very poor this
seemed pretty plausible.

Next day he phones my wife and says it's actually the "tube" (i guess
he means the cathode ray tube) that's gone and the cost of repair is
£100. He quickly follows this up with the good news that he's got
another TV (same make) which is better that he could sell us for £135.

My wife was a bit suspicious and said she would have to speak to me
first.

So my question is, does this all make sense?
If the tube had gone how come a picture was visible?
Does his offer to sell us another TV hint that he's trying it on?

Any help, advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Charlie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sounds fishy to me! Picture tubes aren't common to go these days, &
when they go, they USUALLY get weak, & gassey, or blurry over time.
Now, he MAY have put an actual bad tube in it! Ask around about
his reputation. Also, post the model of T.V. Dani.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

I aggree that it sounds like he may be trying to rip you off. The crt would
not cause that type of problem, least not that I have seen.
Sounds more to me the voltage regulator may be getting heat stressed and is
simply shutting down. I would tell him you are taking the set to another
shop to get a second oppinion, and have them look it over to see if he did
indeed switch tubes with yours. How long has this guy been in business.
Also if this set is not a big set to start with, you may be better off to
replace it as the shop repair will still cost at least 60 to 80 for
replacement of a regulator per say. Jtt.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Thompson" wrote in message

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

The trader does sound a bit suspect - but OTOH there has been a flurry of
comments in the trade press (Television Magazine & Technology @ Home)
concerning Philips tubes of certain versions that have intermittent internal
shorts that cause random shutdown. You could ask the trader if he can supply
a set that doesn't contain a Philips CRT, but some manufacturers have been
sticking their own labels over the ones on the dodgy tubes! You just can't
win!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How old is the tv set ? About 3 - 4 years ago that brand started
putting defective parts in their tv sets including picture tubes .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken G. wrote:
How old is the tv set ? About 3 - 4 years ago that brand started
putting defective parts in their tv sets including picture tubes .

I agree it seems a bit suspect but, in the last few years crts,
especially LG/Phillips tubes have been developing a G2 short that would
shut the set down. In addition, some have been designed using a circuit
similar to Sony's Ik line that if the screen voltage(G2) varies more
than 10%, that will also cause the set to shutdown. There are ways to
beat both problems but, all this being said, he might be on the level.

www.techdata-kicksass.net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks everyone for all the advice,

I'm sorry I can't give the model of the TV (it's written on the back,
but in the TV shop!).
If it's any help it's 27 inch and about 4 years old.

I think I'll probably just take it to another shop.

I don't think this is the case as there is definitely a pattern to the
shutdown.

Thanks again.

Charlie

Tech Data wrote:
Ken G. wrote:
How old is the tv set ? About 3 - 4 years ago that brand started
putting defective parts in their tv sets including picture tubes .

I agree it seems a bit suspect but, in the last few years crts,
especially LG/Phillips tubes have been developing a G2 short that would
shut the set down. In addition, some have been designed using a circuit
similar to Sony's Ik line that if the screen voltage(G2) varies more
than 10%, that will also cause the set to shutdown. There are ways to
beat both problems but, all this being said, he might be on the level.

www.techdata-kicksass.net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tech Data wrote:
Ken G. wrote:
How old is the tv set ? About 3 - 4 years ago that brand started
putting defective parts in their tv sets including picture tubes .

I agree it seems a bit suspect but, in the last few years crts,
especially LG/Phillips tubes have been developing a G2 short that would
shut the set down. In addition, some have been designed using a circuit
similar to Sony's Ik line that if the screen voltage(G2) varies more
than 10%, that will also cause the set to shutdown. There are ways to
beat both problems but, all this being said, he might be on the level.

www.techdata-kicksass.net

Hello,
Really, I've seen a lot of newer Philips with bad tubes...sometimes one
colour is missing and sometimes short like another poster told.
Back in time I told people to buy a Philips to be sure they bought a
decent TV-set, today I don't dare telling anyone anything. Seems like
quality is down the drain...
Also, many of newer Philips widescreen sets, has bad microprocessors
that start to intermittently change to "EXT1" mode or refuse be remote
controlled.

Good luck,

Regards
Stefan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I spoke to the TV repair guy today myself and he said the tube was
shorting.

When I asked if it was G2 short (as per another poster) he got a little
upset saying that there was no name when a tube starts shorting, and
started telling how he'd worked so many years at Sony, blah blah blah.
I figured it was fair question.

Thanks for all the help from everyone

Charlie