Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Anyone do "flash tests" ?

That is outside of original manufacture.
Applying 1.5KV ac or even 3KV between tied (live and neutral) to earth and
pass level of leakage maximum of 3mA.
I would assume leakage between primary and secondary would be extremely
common and fatal to any circuitry further down line. Highly dangerous to
operative as well no doubt.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"n cook" wrote in message
That is outside of original manufacture.
Applying 1.5KV ac or even 3KV between tied (live and neutral) to earth and
pass level of leakage maximum of 3mA.
I would assume leakage between primary and secondary would be extremely
common and fatal to any circuitry further down line. Highly dangerous to
operative as well no doubt.

I do a fair bit of schools and local authority ( care homes etc ) equipment
work, and when all of this flash testing started a few years ago, I saw many
items for repair that had such things as faulty system control micros, and a
recently dated test label. I never thought that this type of test was
appropriate for this type of equipment in the first place, for the sorts of
reasons that you cite.

I guess that this has also now been decided by those responsible for doing
the tests, as I have not seen any such problems recently.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

Certainly hope the folk using this type of diagnostic testing device has a
very high deductible on their liability insurance. I'm sure there may be
repercussions due to damage in static sensitive devices or mpu controlled
items that may be destroyed during their testing.
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"n cook" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Art wrote:

Certainly hope the folk using this type of diagnostic testing device has a
very high deductible on their liability insurance.

Whose liability ?

I'm sure there may be
repercussions due to damage in static sensitive devices or mpu controlled
items that may be destroyed during their testing.

Businesses have to have their equipment tested for safety every so often.
http://www.pat-testing.info/

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

I do a fair bit of schools and local authority ( care homes etc ) equipment
work, and when all of this flash testing started a few years ago, I saw many
items for repair that had such things as faulty system control micros, and a
recently dated test label. I never thought that this type of test was
appropriate for this type of equipment in the first place, for the sorts of
reasons that you cite.

A couple of years ago, a clown from the local authority came to my sons
school and managed to write off a good number of the schools computers.

I was called in to repair the microwave which had failed the "safety
test". The guy had no idea what he was doing, just following the
instructions he`d been given!

I had to write a report detailing what had happened and the school were
eventually supplied with some nice new computers.

Ron(UK)