Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 14' RCA TV

Hi. I have a 6 month old RCA Model#14F512T Tru flat screen Tube Tv that
has suddenly lost channels 7-44 on cable tv. Auto program just skips
over them as does manual programing. The thing only cost 90 bucks to
begin with so a repair shop isn't worth it to me. I think it should last
a little longer than 6 months though. Lightning may have been an issue
as it was in the area( normal storm stuff no direct strikes). I have
done circuit board repairs before on pinball machines ( changing
components, resistors, diodes,caps, and IC's) but don't know where to
start on a TV! I have read that cold solder joints are an issue on the
tuner, I have re-flowed solder joints several times, just don't know
where the tuner is. or the IC for the tuner sometimes goes bad. Also
where is it? I am aware of High Voltage inside of TV and respect it, I
work with that every day, as a Lineman. Any insight into this problem
would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge! Mike
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Goertz wrote:

[...]

throw it away..
if all you paid was 90 bucks, the price for a new tuner will exceed
that by the time you get it to your house etc...
or get your self an outboard cable box and set the unit on 3 or 4.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Make sure that in the menu, the tuner or station mode is set for cable, and
not antenna, if you are on a cable system with the set.

As for servicing your set, the cost will exceed the price of the new value
of the set.

Servicing TV sets requires the proper training, experience, and having
access to the proper tools, and service information. There are also many
safety issues when working on TV sets.

--

JANA
_____