Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default 14' RCA TV

Michael Goertz wrote:

Hi. I have a 6 month old RCA Model#14F512T Tru flat screen Tube Tv that
has suddenly lost channels 7-44 on cable tv. Auto program just skips
over them as does manual programing. The thing only cost 90 bucks to
begin with so a repair shop isn't worth it to me. I think it should last
a little longer than 6 months though. Lightning may have been an issue
as it was in the area( normal storm stuff no direct strikes). I have
done circuit board repairs before on pinball machines ( changing
components, resistors, diodes,caps, and IC's) but don't know where to
start on a TV! I have read that cold solder joints are an issue on the
tuner, I have re-flowed solder joints several times, just don't know
where the tuner is. or the IC for the tuner sometimes goes bad. Also
where is it? I am aware of High Voltage inside of TV and respect it, I
work with that every day, as a Lineman. Any insight into this problem
would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge! Mike

throw it away..
if all you paid was 90 bucks, the price for a new tuner will exceed
that by the time you get it to your house etc...
or get your self an outboard cable box and set the unit on 3 or 4.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5