Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Projection TV picture collapises vertically and horizontaly

I have a Pioneer SD-P4044 projection TV manufactured in July 1990.

After it is on for a few minutes and warms up the picture collapises
horizontally and then sometimes vertically and then goes back to normal or
it will be skewed a little but almost normal. After collapising it usually
retruns to normal after 15-20 seconds and will collapise again later..

Does anyone know where I should probably look for problems in this tv? Leaky
electrolytics?

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This vintage of Pioneers is among the worst for bad solder joints
throughout. We used to get "rebuilt" boards from Pioneer that still had
dozens of ring cracks. Not likely leaky caps, but maybe some that are low
in value or high in ESR in the PS. I'd pull the boards and go over them
carefully for solder problems and check the larger caps. The horizontal
collapse I have seen due to bad joints in the drive stage. Vertical
collapse is usually bad joints on the output IC, related caps going bad, or
joints on a resistor in the output circuit.

Leonard

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Pioneer SD-P4044 projection TV manufactured in July 1990.

After it is on for a few minutes and warms up the picture collapises
horizontally and then sometimes vertically and then goes back to normal or
it will be skewed a little but almost normal. After collapising it usually
retruns to normal after 15-20 seconds and will collapise again later..

Does anyone know where I should probably look for problems in this tv?
Leaky electrolytics?

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
[...]

Think how much more fun we will have with the new lead-free solder
joints!!!

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Think how much more fun we will have with the new lead-free solder
joints!!!

Those things just suck.. They're hard to solder to begin with...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
Think how much more fun we will have with the new lead-free solder
joints!!!

Those things just suck.. They're hard to solder to begin with...

It probably already is RoHS compliant (and that's why the soldering falls to
bits!) the UK was importing RoHS compliant goods long before reels of
lead-free solder became readily available.