Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Projection TV picture collapises vertically and horizontaly

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
This vintage of Pioneers is among the worst for bad solder joints
throughout. We used to get "rebuilt" boards from Pioneer that still had
dozens of ring cracks. Not likely leaky caps, but maybe some that are low
in value or high in ESR in the PS. I'd pull the boards and go over them
carefully for solder problems and check the larger caps. The horizontal
collapse I have seen due to bad joints in the drive stage. Vertical
collapse is usually bad joints on the output IC, related caps going bad, or
joints on a resistor in the output circuit.

Leonard

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Pioneer SD-P4044 projection TV manufactured in July 1990.

After it is on for a few minutes and warms up the picture collapises
horizontally and then sometimes vertically and then goes back to normal or
it will be skewed a little but almost normal. After collapising it usually
retruns to normal after 15-20 seconds and will collapise again later..

Does anyone know where I should probably look for problems in this tv?
Leaky electrolytics?

- Mike

Think how much more fun we will have with the new lead-free solder
joints!!!

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann