Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Guy Guy is offline

Default Group conduct

I think it's important that new visitors to this group know they are
possibly facing responses from certain members who are somewhat beligerent.
Just be carefull that your posts are articulate and don't intimidate
anyone, because you could easily be insulted or badgered. This stuff should
not bother me, because I've been told I'm one of the highest paid
engineering techs in the country, but it does (I guess I'm insecure too!).

I rarely post this kind of thing, but I think it's needed.

Unfortunately, of all groups, this one would have to be this way, since
this is my core field.

The best,

Guy
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Guy" wrote in message
I think it's important that new visitors to this group know they are
possibly facing responses from certain members who are somewhat
beligerent.
Just be carefull that your posts are articulate and don't intimidate
anyone, because you could easily be insulted or badgered. This stuff
should
not bother me, because I've been told I'm one of the highest paid
engineering techs in the country, but it does (I guess I'm insecure too!).

I rarely post this kind of thing, but I think it's needed.

Unfortunately, of all groups, this one would have to be this way, since
this is my core field.

The best,

Guy

Presumably, by making this assertion, you are trying to draw such behaviour
? If you think that people on here are capable of being intimidating, you
should try some of the other groups, where responses often *really* are ...

I would put the opposite point to anyone new and thinking of posting here.
This group is full of very qualified people who are ready and able to help.
Occasionally, replies are less than polite, but usually when a poster says
something which causes those more experienced to worry after his safety.
Genuinely naiive questioners - and there are many - are normally treated
with respect and pointed in the right direction.

Yes, be articulate if you can, but it's not a requirement, and yes, don't
intimidate people who are just trying to help, but don't give potential
newcomers the idea that if they post here, they are *likely* to get flamed -
they aren't.

To anyone new thinking of posting here, just be sensible, and give a little
thought to your question. The sort of posts which draw negative responses go
a bit like " I have a TV which went wobbly sometimes. I have taken the back
off and poked all of the big blue things and used a tester to check that
there is 119 amps on the bias rail. Now it doesn't work at all. Help me out
please guys ... "

If you want to be less insecure - and I would have to agree with you on that
one - you need to change your outlook on life, and not look to newsgroups to
justify your insecurities. I rather suspect that it will always be the case
that when your cup is half empty, mine will be half full ... d;~}

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Guy" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be [:-)-|-

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil" wrote in message
ups.com...

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Guy" wrote in message
[...]

Obviously, there is beer in the glass that needs drinking if you guys can
still debate such philosophical matters.
Leonard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Arfa Daily ha escrito:

"Guy" wrote in message
[...]

Good on ya, Arfa!
I agree with the above, and would like to add as a suggestion to new
posters that they *always* post the following info when after help on
a piece of equipment (such as a tv or monitor):

-manufacturer
-model number, screen size if tv/monitor
-chassis ref. if applicable
-approximate age
-any tests or voltage measurements carried out up to now
-detailed symptoms of fault (not just 'won't work' , 'goes funny' etc)

......This may help reduce the number of annoying posts (IMHO) which
provoke 'belligerent' answers , i.e. things like 'I have an old sony tv
with a picture fault. I'm not a technician but have some experience of
lawn mower repair. I'm sure this is just a faulty fuse. could anyone
tell me where to look? '

In any case, perhaps newcomers could post if they have experience of
repair or not - that would help prevent any misunderstandings on our
part as to their capacity to use the information given.

just my 0.02 worth!
regards,
-B

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"

If you want to be less insecure - and I would have to agree with you on that
one - you need to change your outlook on life, and not look to newsgroups to
justify your insecurities. I rather suspect that it will always be the case
that when your cup is half empty, mine will be half full ... d;~}

Arfa

Actually, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be [:-)-|-

Hey, I like that one, I'll have to remember it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:
"

If you want to be less insecure - and I would have to agree with you
on that
one - you need to change your outlook on life, and not look to
newsgroups to
justify your insecurities. I rather suspect that it will always be
the case
that when your cup is half empty, mine will be half full ... d;~}

Arfa

Actually, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be [:-)-|-

Hey, I like that one, I'll have to remember it.

Classic case of over-engineering....

jak