Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sstormont

Default JVC HR-S3800U won't power on

I have a JVC HR-S3800U VCR that will not turn on no matter what method
is tried (Power button, insert tape, remote).

I opened it up and the internal fuse is not blown. What else can I
check to try and get this unit working again?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

sstormont ha escrito:

I have a JVC HR-S3800U VCR that will not turn on no matter what method
is tried (Power button, insert tape, remote).

I opened it up and the internal fuse is not blown. What else can I
check to try and get this unit working again?

IF, and only IF, you know what you're doing, replace the capacitors in
the SMPS primary. If not get it to a technician.
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

sstormont wrote:
I have a JVC HR-S3800U VCR that will not turn on no matter what method
is tried (Power button, insert tape, remote).

I opened it up and the internal fuse is not blown. What else can I
check to try and get this unit working again?

Is there any sign of life whatsoever? Is the display lit?

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tomh

If the power supply seems to have all the correct secondary voltages
present, check the power-on-push-button-switch to see if it's closing.
I've seen several different units, VCR's rcvr's, amps, etc where the
switch has failed. It should be pulling a 5V(or less)logic level to a
low state or passing it through, sort of pull up style, to a controller
chip. And if you're not real savy with electronics find a repair
shop/technician. JVC supports the repair business and their stuff is
usually worth fixing. Good luck.

b wrote:

sstormont ha escrito:

I have a JVC HR-S3800U VCR that will not turn on no matter what method
is tried (Power button, insert tape, remote).

I opened it up and the internal fuse is not blown. What else can I
check to try and get this unit working again?

IF, and only IF, you know what you're doing, replace the capacitors in
the SMPS primary. If not get it to a technician.
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sstormont

There is no sign of life at all.

With this unit, shouldn't it power on when a tape is inserted?

I took an initial look at the caps, and none of them seemed to be
leaking or blown.

tomh wrote:
If the power supply seems to have all the correct secondary voltages
present, check the power-on-push-button-switch to see if it's closing.
I've seen several different units, VCR's rcvr's, amps, etc where the
switch has failed. It should be pulling a 5V(or less)logic level to a
low state or passing it through, sort of pull up style, to a controller
chip. And if you're not real savy with electronics find a repair
shop/technician. JVC supports the repair business and their stuff is
usually worth fixing. Good luck.

b wrote:

sstormont ha escrito:

I have a JVC HR-S3800U VCR that will not turn on no matter what method
is tried (Power button, insert tape, remote).

I opened it up and the internal fuse is not blown. What else can I
check to try and get this unit working again?

IF, and only IF, you know what you're doing, replace the capacitors in
the SMPS primary. If not get it to a technician.
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

sstormont ha escrito:

There is no sign of life at all.

With this unit, shouldn't it power on when a tape is inserted?

I took an initial look at the caps, and none of them seemed to be
leaking or blown.

caps can fail and not be visibly bad.
unless you have an esr meter, it is simpler just to change them.
they're extremely cheap as components go. What you describe, the dead
condition, (if i read correctly) is a very common fault with vcrs
switch mode power supplies.
chnage the caps and post back.
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sstormont

It looks like C506 and C5102 are the only ones in that area. Which
other ones should I replace?

sstormont ha escrito: