Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sstormont

Default JVC HR-S3800U won't power on

There is no sign of life at all.

With this unit, shouldn't it power on when a tape is inserted?

I took an initial look at the caps, and none of them seemed to be
leaking or blown.

tomh wrote:
If the power supply seems to have all the correct secondary voltages
present, check the power-on-push-button-switch to see if it's closing.
I've seen several different units, VCR's rcvr's, amps, etc where the
switch has failed. It should be pulling a 5V(or less)logic level to a
low state or passing it through, sort of pull up style, to a controller
chip. And if you're not real savy with electronics find a repair
shop/technician. JVC supports the repair business and their stuff is
usually worth fixing. Good luck.

b wrote:

sstormont ha escrito:

I have a JVC HR-S3800U VCR that will not turn on no matter what method
is tried (Power button, insert tape, remote).

I opened it up and the internal fuse is not blown. What else can I
check to try and get this unit working again?

IF, and only IF, you know what you're doing, replace the capacitors in
the SMPS primary. If not get it to a technician.
-B.