Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Leonard Caillouet

Default Sony PFM42B1 will not start

This is from Sony's commercial line of monitors from a few years ago, panel
made by Fujitsu/Hitachi.

This one tries to start three times and then goes to flashing the LED
sequence 6. This is listed as a PDP error, but can mean other failures as
well. Apparently, the X-SUS and Y-SUS board were originally sold as part of
the panel, but are now available as discrete parts. I get all of the
voltages listed coming up ok except the Ve and Vq voltages at test points on
the DC-DC board. The chart on this board lists them as +18v but they go
negative by more than 100v. All ground points are at the same potential on
this and related boards. Sony tech says that these are returns from the
X-SUS board, but there is little info on either the SUS boards or the DC-DC
board in the manual. Looks like the X-SUS board is bad, but I'd like more
info.

Anyone familiar with these or perhaps with something similar from Fujitsu or
Hitachi?

Leonard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
deeks

Hi Leonard,
Just wondering if you had any luck getting your Sony repaired. I have
one also with the same fault and have located the problem, but haven't
found enough information to fix it at this stage. The fault is (at
least) blown chips on the SDMD and SDMU flat cable assemblies which
connect (and drive) the plasma display. These are located under the two
metal covers on the left edge of the plasma display - both plug into
the YSUS board. I haven't found any other faults at this stage - and I
assume this may be a common fault with these units. I don't know if
there is a fault with the X-SUS or Y-SUS boards, but I have gone over
all the boards physically and cant see any faults. I don't have any
info on the blown chips but I assume they are simply some sort of
addressable multiplexer / switch array. If I could find some info on
there function, I may be able to make a replacement board. Sony (their
repair agent) have told me my 4 year old, $10,000 set is a write-off!
Not happy Sony! If you've already assigned it to landfill, then no
worries - otherwise I'd be glad to hear your experience!
Cheers,
Shane.
p.s. if anyone from Sony is reading this - please feel free to contact
me! ;-)

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
steve27

Hi Leonard, I have just got the same problem (6 flashes on standby
light) any joy with resolving it ? or is it just a pile of junk now? ps
what did you replace it with?
Cerrs
Steve27

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
deeks

Hi Steve27
Are you in Australia by any chance? please contact me if you are. If
you are in the US you'll find Sony's service very good (and honest) as
they have admitted a problem with this model and are offering to repair
it at no charge as far as I'm aware. See this forum for more info ...
http://www.tv-forums.com/forum/TV_Eq...PFM42B1_P5224/
Here in Australia they are less honest and much less helpful in
regards to this unit. They were happy to take a serious amount of
money for is 3-4 years ago, but now don't want to know about repairing
them when they are all failing.
Good luck with your repair - I hope you get it fixed... its a Sony so
its worth fixing.
Cheers,
Deeks.