Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook

Default Converting 40 yearold AM car radio to AM + FM

I've been asked to convert a 1962 car radio (Ge technology) to include FM.
Its in a classic car so front panel appearance at least must be un-altered.
I'm thinking of using a personal matchbox size mono FM receiver with step
button channel change, to fit inside.
Drop the 12V to 3V, couple antenna to exiting antenna, switch out AM and
switch in FM and couple in , adjusted, the o/p to amp input of the car
radio.
Of course I could extend the switches out of the car radio case but anyone
ideas for hiding switches in the existing radio case?
The tuning advance button could perhaps be mounted behind a flexible part of
the front panel but what about the 2 way switch for AM/FM select ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee

n cook wrote:
[...]

Why not find the optional AM/FM radio that was offered on the car when new?
Even my 1959 MGA had an optional AM/FM radio
Regards
Lee in Toronto

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook

Lee wrote in message ...

n cook wrote:
[...]

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

I'll probably convert the MW/LW switch to MW/FM

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

n cook ha escrito:

I've been asked to convert a 1962 car radio (Ge technology) to include FM.
Its in a classic car so front panel appearance at least must be un-altered.
I'm thinking of using a personal matchbox size mono FM receiver with step
button channel change, to fit inside.
Drop the 12V to 3V, couple antenna to exiting antenna, switch out AM and
switch in FM and couple in , adjusted, the o/p to amp input of the car
radio.
Of course I could extend the switches out of the car radio case but anyone
ideas for hiding switches in the existing radio case?
The tuning advance button could perhaps be mounted behind a flexible part of
the front panel but what about the 2 way switch for AM/FM select ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I dont know anyone who listens to AM these days. unless your client is
especially partial to it, i'd just wire it for FM and if the set has
channel pushbuttons, put a small microswitch behind one to use for the
step-up/ fm seek tuning.
B..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook

b wrote in message
ps.com...

n cook ha escrito:

[...]

I'm also wondering about ignition noise and use on a positive earth car
chassis.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"b" wrote in message
ps.com...

I dont know anyone who listens to AM these days.

It's still popular in many parts of the world, not least here in the UK.
There are channels which are only available on AM. I sometimes use it for
football (soccer) commentary when the same programme isn't available on FM,
which is quite often. It's not nice for listening to music on though! Fine
for discussion programmes and sport coverage.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

http://www.taymanelectrical.com/ does this to AM car radios in the US

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!

Radio Explodes [email protected] Home Repair 11 May 27th 06 01:52 AM
Sony Car Radio/ CD converting Japan to UK use ? N Cook Electronics Repair 5 November 7th 04 01:44 PM
Chrysler Radio 1996 Dodge Stratus (Chrysler Sirrus?) Pinout question with GMC S15 Truck None Electronics Repair 4 July 3rd 04 11:29 PM
Broken Radio JW Electronics Repair 3 May 31st 04 01:05 PM
Mobile VHF radio problem Bob Engelhardt Electronics Repair 4 July 17th 03 05:43 AM