Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jim

Default Shut down LCD projector or let run?

I just recieved an Hitachi CP-s230 LCD projector to use in my
classroom.

I use it all day but there are periods during the day when it is idle.

My question is: Does restarting the lamp put wear on the over all life
of the lamp.
Someone told me "striking" or firing up the lamp was the equivilant of
X hours of projection.

Is that true? Would it be better for me to leave the projector
projecting through my lunch break for example?

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jim

Looks like I just can't win then.

Thanks for the reply

Jim

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

What do you mean by "don't last very long?"

I have lots of clients out there with thousands of hours on their lamps. It
depends greatly on the specific lamp and its application in a given unit.

In gerneral, I tell people that if they are going to be away for more than a
few hours, turn it off. Less than two hours leave it on. The best answer is
that it is hard to tell, but likely somewhere between 1 and 4 hours is
probably best, but it is largely guessing.

Minimize starts and overal lamp time and keep the filters clean if there are
any, and have a spare if you don't want to wait for a replacement. If you
buy a spare, be sure to run it for the 90 days it will be warranted to make
sure it is a good one.

Leonard

"Jerry G." wrote in message
oups.com...
It is difficult to know the proper balance of having the lamp on or
off. It is both the start-up and shutdown of the lamp that reduce its
lifespan. At the same time, the lamp will wear from general use.

In any-case, these projector lamps generally don't last very long. You
should be prepared with a number of spares.

Jerry G.
======